Misleading Solar Panels and Regulator

As an example. Item: 384804443686 but they have flooded ebay marketplace.

I got mine yesterday and its only a 25w panel not 260w as advertised.

It does not produce 5 amp. 

It is rate at 416 milliamps which is half an amp.

It has a built in regulator for a usb and 12v charging output built in that delivers  416ma,  so what are you suppose to do with the regulator sold with it is anyones guess, there are no wiring for the regulator anyway.

I did a search on the panel itself once I got the item and it is sold as a trickle charging panel.

It looks like someone had oversupply of stock and just bundled stuff together to make you believe they went together.

I am surprised ebay lets these items that are clearly mis represented in the advertising be sold.

Its akin to a fraud.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

A Chinese registered seller with very poor feedback.

To be honest I wouldn't buy any electrical devices from China, they are very unlikely to conform to Australian Standards. So if anything goes wrong you will have no insurance backup for any damage caused by them.

eBay cannot review every item listed on their platform, so it comes down to "buyer beware"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I am surprised people buy things like this from China

eBay do not vet listings

Just because something is listed does not mean people have to buy it, and help such sellers keep on selling

It shows they are in China

It shows the awful feedback

Sure as heck hope you do not intend to use the thing

If anything should happen, insurance is not going to cover damage to your property, or any nearby

Insurance does not cover anything damaged by cheap, dangerous Chinese knock offs 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I’ve posted so frequently on why buying electronic items from any Chinese eBay seller is a very bad idea that I’ve lost heart.

People listen to the sound of the Ridiculous Savings Fairy rather than to common sense.

But… I’ll try again. 

The Ridiculous Savings Fairy doesn’t exist. She’s not granting eBay buyers these amazing deals.  Expect to pay near RRP, and if it’s not RRP, it may be TGTBT. If it’s an electronic/electric/technical item, the putative Ridiculous Savings Fairy can’t wave a magic wand and waive the requirement for those items to meet Australian Standards. If it’s being sold by a Chinese eBay seller, and especially if it’s unbranded, it won’t meet those standards and it won’t be composed of the required components.  Your insurance won’t cover any failure, damage, injury or death resulting from the items.

This is not a case of cutting out the middleman. It’s more a case of being made of the cheapest possible raw materials in the cheapest way without meeting the technical specifications… the e version of snake oil. It’s like thinking that a meticulously hand-stitched leather handbag is no better than a PU imitation stained with a toxic dye mass-produced with loose stitches… or that a high quality high-end audio system manufactured of high quality components is the same as a plastic imitation with a few cheap parts inside glued together without the specs to produce more than a tinny whining sound reproduction.

“Made in China” doesn’t mean poor quality, but unbranded equipment sold by a random Chinese eBay seller is pretty much guaranteed to be made as cheaply as possible without the need to meet a brand’s product specs under strict quality control. “Made in China” for a brand is a different matter. And for electronic products, a Chinese factory whipping out knockoffs for quick maximum profit won’t have the faintest interest in or ability to meet the legally required electrical safety standards.

Sometimes we can grab a great deal, but I would be wary of a a consistently lower price that’s 20% or more off RRP.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Why - Why - just  - Why - does anyone buy this from eBay.

Good grief.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Why - Why - just  - Why - does anyone buy this from eBay.

Good grief.

My exact thoughts too. 
These sort of posts give me the s#*Ts!!!

They are not eBay newbies…. FGS, do some damn research. 🤨

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

It would be great if this type of electric or electronic stuff from China just wasn't allowed on Australian ebay because the number of people who fall for it seems to be huge.

Personally, I'd like to see such imports seized.

It wouldn't be hard for ebay to block ads from certain categories but it won't happen as long as the ads are legally allowed and ebay is profiting from them. Big companies will not concern themselves with side issues (like safety standards) unless they are more or less forced to, that's the reality.

You can make an ebay claim, for item not as described. If you win, you should get your money back. If ebay doesn't cough up, make a paypal claim if you paid that way. Don't close your claim till you have your money back, no matter what the seller might say.

And give negative feedback, if you haven't already.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Ebay needs to take some responsibility as a point of DUTY OF CARE, the one example I found has 99.4% positive feedback and has sold several thousand solar panels, it is just fraudulent information provided by the seller which in my eyes is unethical and also illegal by Australian Consumer Law.

It's unfortunate to see the uneducated blatantly ripped off and deceived by overseas sellers praying on the fact electrical mumbo jumbo just does not compute, I have sold solar panels for over 23 years and 90% of my customers just stare into thin air when I talk numbers and equations.

EBAY FIND YOUR DUTY OF CARE OR YOUR TIME WILL BE NUMBERED, IF THEY ARE REPEATEDLY SCAMMED.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Kindly stop yelling at other members

Nobody from eBay is reading your comment 

Buyers need to take responsibility for their own buying choices

It is up to the buyer alone if they make the choice to

a)buy such a thing from a random seller in the first place

b)Buy such a thing, especially from a dodgy seller in China

c)Choose to keep these dodgy sellers in business by choosing to buy these things

You say it is illegal , have you taken action and reported it to the authorities ?

99.4% for a high volume seller is rubbish

And you can't site 'Australian consumer law' when you admit yourself the seller is overseas

Nobody is scammed if they use basic common sense and use the tools they are given under the MBG

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Firstly I am not going deaf.

If a buyer is silly enough to buy from a seller with 99.4%,  its their problem, they are obviously happy to support these sellers, Ebay has given them the tools, they need to use them.  The buyer is not being scammed, if they knowingly buy from such a seller,  they are scamming themselves to use your terminology

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply