Misleading toilet roll add. People fall for this, but apparently i may not win the case if escalated

I refused to panic buy & stack up rolls and now pay the hefty price because of my duty of care.

Some shameless toilet paper seller is advertising rolls misleadingly. I called ebay to see if they can do anything to stop this before more people fall victim like myself, but it seems like they can't do much due to the cleverly placed ad. On top of that, the customer representative thinks i may not get a refund if escalated. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254538369953

First of all the seller put a pic of a whole pack and put a price that resembles the price of a whole pack like other honest sellers. At a glance once would naturally think $16.95 is a price of a pack (where in Australia would you sell 1 roll for that much it just doesn't make sense). She described it as 1 roll in the description and added a picture of the 1 roll but cleverly cropped it in an angle and put it in certain way so it looks like an 'australian made' label or some sort of 'Australian made' parcel pack (you wouldn't notice this is a toilet paper if you don't zoom - well so many victims didn't notice it - including myself. The ebay representative had to tell me few times & made me zoom before i realised that's a picture of a roll). Seller also  cunningly opted for a no refund policy.

30% review apparently doesn't do anything to stop this seller. If only she puts a decent 1 roll picture with no label covering it or in an angle as the main picture, i bet $100, not one single person in their right mind will click and buy. Yet ebay thinks this is okay. I'm just in disbelief.

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Misleading toilet roll add. People fall for this, but apparently i may not win the case if escalated

Glad you got a refund.Smiley Happy

I had a friend tell me that they have been informed that from 1 April, ebay is coming down hard on all sales of sanitiser, TP etc and only proper business sellers will be allowed to list it and not at price gouging prices.

I haven't seen or read an actual email about it myself, but the news does not surprise me.

The next few months present a good business opportunity for ebay as people are likely to be doing more online shopping for a while.

The last thing ebay needs is bad media publicity about allowing rip off merchants to flourish and doing nothing about it.

Amazon has acted and ebay needed to act too. It's a new situation.

I am not surprised ebay is giving buyers the benefit of the doubt at the moment on TP sales etc

If they have a new policy in place, then I imagine it could be almost automatic that sellers who had the slightest whiff of misdirection in such ads will have the buyers win if they complain. And there is no doubt in my mind that regardless of what the seller might have put in his ad to cover his backside, that putting up a photo of a whole pack as his main photo and then charging $21 for delivery of one roll was misleading and an example of price gouging.

Well done for following through and I hope in this case you don't even need to return the item, that the seller loses out.

View solution in original post

Message 46 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

All the buyers should open a case for INAD forcing the seller to pay for return.

With all the negs and complaints, looks like the member may have had their selling priviledges revoked.

image host
Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

No, you would be unlikely to get a refund if you opened a dispute.

The seller has very carefully listed the item for sale as ONE ROLL...mentioned several times in the listing as well as clearly in the title.

The only way to show the brand is by a phto showing the outer wrapping as the one roll photographed is not branded.

It always pays to read a listing properly rather than just look at the photos and see what you want to see......and look at the feedback before jumping in.

Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

However since she is selling each individual roll not the pack (it's not a common practice to sell 1 roll but anyways..) imho a picture of a single roll should have been the primary picture, not the 8 pack rolls. If she has a good intention after the 1st complain, she can easily crop a 'QUILTON' brand and upload without the misleading 8packs picture (but of course she won't do that because no one will purchase or fall for her trick). Your words are correct though 'the seller has very carefully listed the item..." <-- very carefully and cleverly. And yes i admit i have been careless, but i have had wonderful experiences in the past 17 years till recently when all these unscrupulous people flood ebay.

Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

I certainly hope so.. Smiley FrustratedSmiley Sad

Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

all the 59 rolls were sold on the same day (13th march). 59 people fell victim to this. There were no prior negative reviews available when i purchased it. Item just arrived on Friday.

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

Hmmm, wasn`t any of the following a give away that you were getting 1 roll :-

1 x Quilton Toilet Paper Roll

1 Roll Per Order

Single Roll (1 Roll)

Ad to that, the fact that their last 6 months Feedback is only 50%

It was written there in black and white several times that it was 1 roll. Personally, I think they are taking advantage of a bad sutuation selling one roll at that price, and are scumbags, but they have made it more than clear it was for 1 roll.

A possible way of getting your money back though maybe through the packaging, as it states it brand new unused, in its original packaging, the same as in a retail outlet, unless the item was packaged by the MANUFACTURER in non-retail packaging :-

Item specifics Condition:

Brand New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is available in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

tbh -i can't recall whether i unsuspectingly skimmed through description or only read the title (assuming it should be self explanatory - 1 pack rolls = $16.96). There were no negative feedbacks. She only started selling this item once on the 12th of Mar and 59 times on the 13th of Mar. Previous feedbacks were all positives.

Oh you have raised a very good point about unopened & undamaged item in original packaging... Thank you so much!!
Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

@from_mum_2_mum wrote:
tbh -i can't recall whether i unsuspectingly skimmed through description or only read the title (assuming it should be self explanatory - 1 pack rolls = $16.96). There were no negative feedbacks. She only started selling this item once on the 12th of Mar and 59 times on the 13th of Mar. Previous feedbacks were all positives.

Oh you have raised a very good point about unopened & undamaged item in original packaging... Thank you so much!!

Postage for a pack of even 4 rolls would be more than $16.95.

On those figures, postage would be $8.95, Paypal fees 74c, eBay fees $1.85. Which leaves $5.42, less cost of purchase. A bit high for a roll of paper, but hardly exorbitant.

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

Okay, $4.95 postage. With fees of 67c.

$9.70. A bit high. I suppose your need must have been high also.

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply