Miss leading prices on items

Several times recently I have looked for items by price. It appears to be acceptable to advertise an item (eg solar pump) for a particularly low price but when the advert is opened the low price relates to something else (eg a solar flower) and if a pump is selected the price is usually significantly different - often more than other sellers with the same product.

This has happened on several occasions recently for a variety of items and is quite annoying.

When this happens I buy elsewhere. Can we do anything else? Can it be stopped?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

ebay has a low cost system in place where sellers can do whatever they like. 

They only enforce rules when a huge storm of protest or bad media reports happen.

They will usually just create a fee to stop most of bad behaviour instead of just enforcing rules.

Like the people who where selling items for $1 and charging $300 postage(when postage was really say $10).

Instead of just sanctioning the wrong doers they decided to charge fees on postage and then also created the free postage myth.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

This is miss leading.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

It got married

It is Mrs leading now

Naturally you have reported it

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

I know exactly the sort of ad you mean and yes it is maddening to scroll through a list of ads for a particular item and to think the price is around a certain mark, only to find when you open the ads that the real price is a lot dearer.

My understanding is that an ad like that is supposed to be for related items so if you find one where the items in the list are wildly different, I guess you could report it.

I find though that the problem is pretty well confined to Chinese sellers, I haven't seen too much of it happening with Australian sellers on ebay. Maybe it depends on what items you look up, it is probably more common in some areas than others.

Apart from reporting any grossly misleading ad, I am not sure what else you can do except what you are doing and that is to buy elsewhere. I am the same, I would prefer to buy from another ebay seller whose ads are straightforward and I would prefer to buy from Australia where possible too.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply