Money Back Guarantee, Buyer BEWARE!

I purchased a pair of items described as "new". The item, a classic-car part, occassionally lists on eBay, but as "remanufactured" - meaning disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt with new seals, valves, etc - because the item has not been produced by the manufacturer for many decades. The items were shipped from the US to Australia.

When I received the items, they were clearly remanufactured and certain visible parts had been replaced by inferior parts. I requested that the items be returned, and the web-page for the return indicated that the seller agreed to the return. As instructed by the return web-page, I requested a return shipping label from the seller. The seller did not oblige, and a case was opened.

The case was placed on hold several times (for very strange reasons). Finally eBay instructed me to send the item back, tracked, by a specific date. The seller has never provided a return shipping label.

The items weigh 12.5 kg together. The trackable postage from Australia to the US, using Australia Post, would have cost me over AUD $200. Consequently, I sent a message to eBay requesting that they confirm that I would be reimbursed or refunded the cost of return postage.

eBay never replied to my request for confirmation. While I was considering my options on the day by which I was instructed to return the item, I received a message from eBay stating that the case had been closed and that I get to keep the item. A terrible outcome for me, the buyer!

The word "by" in the context of a date usually means "no later than". In the case of eBay's Money Back Guarantee, the words "by a certain date" mean "before a certain date". I don't know why they would not use the word "before" to remove ambiguity. BUYER BEWARE!

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Money Back Guarantee, Buyer BEWARE!

@co-au13 wrote:

Hi Jesse,

This is about the ‘not as described case’ you have filed, for the item BLUE STITCHING 2X DOOR CARD TRIM LEATHER SKIN COVERS FITS HONDA CRX 1988-1991 you bought from topgaiters.

We have reviewed the case carefully and decided that the item has to be returned to the seller for a full refund. Please complete these steps in the next 10 days so we can give you a refund. Please go to Australia Post website to get a shipping label.

You can click on this link to go to the site: https://www.clickandsend.com.au. You would need to register for an account with Auspost for you to be able to issue shipping labels. I suggest that you do so. Once you are registered with Auspost, please select the shipping option 'Regular - Parcel Post(your own packaging)' which will charge you $46.10.

We would appreciate if you could cover this amount for now and we will process your manual payout to cover the return postage once tracking shows the item is already in transit.

So why didn't you just do as eBay asked, you had it in writing that you would be reimbursed.................

Sure it's a pain to have to open a "click and send" account, but you would have been covered for the whole purchase price and both-way postage.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

I'm sorry, but what are you complaining about?

Ebay has guaranteed that you will get the shipping costs to return the item but you don't want to do it?

The seller is in England so cannot send you a return shipping label....a Royal Mail shipping label would not be accepted in Australia.  This is the only way to return items to other countries.

In fact, this is what should have been done for the OP of this thread.  His item was supposed to be returned to the USA but no-one woke up to the fact that the seller could not send a return shipping label for a buyer in Australia.

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

Yeh you heard right. I cannot afford the retern post up front. Is that a problem for you is it?

Situation reversed. I sold an item recently. to the UK. I had to pay everything up front ie: refund., postage. Ebay didnt jump in then and fell sorry for me cos i couldnt send a shipping label. They didnt email the buyer in UK to tell them to pay out of their pocket postage up front  SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING ON ABOUT!!!!!!

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

Closed my store. NO MORE FREE RIDE Ebay!

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

This will probably silence the 2 repliers too but.....WHERE ARE YOUR LISTINGS??? If eBay is so great?? why are you not selling anything here????
Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

Why did you not do as eBay asked you to do by sending a "click and send" label. You would have had ALL your money back if you had done that.

Even God doesn't help those who can't help themselves....................sheeesh.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

Are you the same person as the OP if not then it's quite rude to hijack someone elses thread with your own problem. You should start your own thread if you want advise.
Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

I posted this yes. @ padi.....your answer to why you dont sell items here is? 

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

I dont have $46 to send it back, so shoot me i guess!

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

harley, I think I'll just give up on this one, some people just will not listen they just want to attack others who give reasonable advice, and then bring up yet another sob story scenario.

DSR's look a bit shabby so the selling career may not have lasted too long anyway......................

I'm gone.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply