Money back guarantee a crock of **bleep**?

I recently purchased a faulty tap timer, seller agreed to refund. A week or so later i started a refund process, i may have selected wrong problem on very confusing site ( I did attach an explaining note), i selected that item i ordered did not arrive, which it didn't in my opinion,  seller replied that item was delivered and ebay closed case

I now feel i should inform as many people as possible that the ebay moneyback guarantee is bull**bleep**, who knows, the CEO may get wind of my grievence.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@kurrajong, why on earth did you select INR? You must only select that (that is, Item Not Received) when you received NOTHING from the seller.

If it's that an item was not as described, you must select RETURN for refund as the reason for your dispute, and then you will choose the option that best fits the situation. For instance, if what you received is not what you ordered, or it's damaged, or whatever the case may be, you have those options within the returns process to select.

You chose completely the wrong sort of dispute. Of course eBay closed the case; the seller must have sent via trackable method, and all the seller had to do in the dispute was to include the tracking number which would have shown a status of "delivered"... and bang, the case is indeed closed with a loud thump.

I don't know what possessed you to make such a rookie mistake. You've been on eBay at least since 2011. Even if you've never needed to seek a refund before, surely you'd have at least glanced at the Money Back Guarantee Help page?

This is the page. https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

I think you may still be able to open a refund request under the MBG, as long as the item arrived no later than within the last 30 days. Make sure you select the correct option (faulty item), and take a photo of the item so that you can upload it.

You need to understand that eBay's returns & refunds process/dispute process is entirely bot-driven. No-one would have read your "explaining note". If you understand that, you should have no problem with requesting a refund for a valid reason. Follow what the eBay MBG page says, not what you think should be the process.

Before you go ahead... where is the seller registered? (Click onto the seller's feedback percentage, as this will take you to the seller's profile page which shows country of registration.) If the seller's return address is not in Australia, of course the seller can't provide you with a shipping label to return the item - and it is entirely possible that eBay will simply process the refund without your needingn to return the faulty item. If you do have to return it, you must do so exactly as described in the MBG Help page. You won't need to pay for the return, as it's a case of Item Not As Described.

If it's now too late to open a returns request, you are still covered by PayPal (if you paid via PayPal). The timeframe for a PayPal Buyer dispute is 180 days from the date of the transaction.

(PayPal will apparently not be available as a payment method on eBay at some point, so just bear that in mind for the future. It will mean that the only recourse - if a buyer fails to open a refund request under eBay's MBG within the 30 days from the EDD or actual delivery date - will be a chargeback through one's bank. However, that's for the future.)

Post here if you need any further help.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

The seller did not close the case

eBay closed it because YOU falsely claimed the item did not arrive

Nothing confusing about the choice between

'did not arrive'

and

'not as described'

Your personal opinion. are far as those two go, do not override correct ebay procedure/policy

Had you opened the correct dispute, you would have won, no questions asked

You not understanding the difference between something not arriving AT ALL and something being faulty is all you

Do go ahead and spread around false information, by all means try to talk people out of opening the CORRECT dispute and then they WILL get their money back

It's funny you will think the CEO will somehow get wind of your false claims

Base level eBay staff don't even read here, let alone the big cheese

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

@kurrajong2011 wrote:

I recently purchased a faulty tap timer, seller agreed to refund. A week or so later i started a refund process, i may have selected wrong problem on very confusing site ( I did attach an explaining note), i selected that item i ordered did not arrive, which it didn't in my opinion,  seller replied that item was delivered and ebay closed case

I now feel i should inform as many people as possible that the ebay moneyback guarantee is bull**bleep**, who knows, the CEO may get wind of my grievence.

What you have to realise is your opinion doesn't count.

All that count are the facts.

You say in your opening sentence that you purchased a faulty tap timer. Presumably new and not listed as faulty in the ad.

There is no logical way you could know it is faulty unless it had arrived.

Obviously the seller had tracking.

So everyone-seller, ebay, you, those of us on the board here-we all know something arrived.

If the item was faulty or wasn't what was described in the ad, that is a different thing.

You may now be able to open a new ebay claim for item not as described. Not sure. Remember some discussion around this point a few weeks back but can't recall the answer. Worth a try though.

Don't go returning anything or writing to the seller, just see if you can open the right sort of claim now.

If the seller wants the item back, they have to send a postage label or pay upfront for postage.

If time has run out for an ebay claim, maybe try paypal if you paid that way. But for faulty item, not item not received as you'll lose that every time.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Typical.

Buyer buys cheap tap timer, which then claims it is faulty, opens the wrong Money Back Guarantee case, loses, then blames EBay!  

Bloody typical! 
😡

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

It was a good quality tap timer, the best on market i believe, what i got was a used timer that was faulty. After discussion with seller he said refund would be given. I found the ebay refund process to be confusing, designed i think to deter small claims.

After reading your reply i now know that this is typical, how many poor senior souls are there who cannot navigate the lengthy refund process.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

No, i definitely wanted a faulty tap timer, i just couldn’t get the fault to operate badly enough.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Yes i had trouble navigating the refund process, should have done better after two hours chasing info on telstra website, surely not the same programmers for both companies.

i do not lie, the seller started by asking me had i turned timer on (2 days gone), really?

wasting my time, hoping i would go away i thought. Then said they would give refund but i had to go through ebay process, they must have seen previous correspondence when contacted, why not just say “give refund” instead of stalling further.

A big thanks to the ebay CEO who stepped in and sorted my problem, yes i will repay the favour chunks, not till after WB agm though.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, i had trouble navigating the refund process and for that i apologise, i should in fact be congratulating the programming staff for creating such a time consuming path.

The fact is that the seller had said a refund was deserved and then seen that i had made a mistake and took advantage of it. I ebay is bot driven then why have a comments section, is this to give the impression that as a customer you are valued when in reality if you do not click the correct box then you sent to the recycler.

Anyway, i eventually was refunded although i am not sure it is a good thing, i am getting sick of receiving chinese **bleep** from ebay sellers and was going to use this problem as stop.

Regards

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Are you sure it was an eBay CEO who stepped in and sorted your problem? Did you get his name and his personal phone number? FYI his name is Jamie Iannone. No chance in hell he would take time out to speak to a buyer of a faulty tap timer.  Perhaps another navigation problem somewhere? 

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply