Mouse over zoom broken firefox

For the last few weeks I cannot zoom an image usnig mouse over in firefox on my main computer.

Edge works OK and the image mouse over does the zoom.

Firefox on my 2nd compter works OK. The exact same page has the mouse over zoom working.

On my 2nd computer with the item page loaded the small pictures display and under the main picture are the words 'Mouse over image to zoom' and the zoom works.

On the 1st computer with the same item page loaded the small pictures display and under the main picture are the words 'Click to view larger image and other views'

So on the 1st computer it seems that the page has already decided at load time that the zoom option will be disabled and replaced with the click option only and is explicitly stating that.

I did not change anything in preferences or settings that I am aware of on computer 1 so how is ebay deciding to disable the mouse over soom feature for computer number 1?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have tried the function on Firefox and Chrome and both use the Click to enlarge.

I tried on listings on the Australian site, the UK and the US sites.....all use the Click.  I really can't remember the last time I saw the mouse over option on either browser and I have not used IE for so long that I did not even put it on this laptop.

Does it really matter whether you Click or Mouse over?

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

I have just now tried the UK and US sites as well as Australia and all of them give me Zoom on computer 2 ('click to view...' function also works) and all 3 sites give me only 'Click to view...' on computer 1 (the US site does not have the words 'Mouse over image to zoom' or 'Click to view larger image and other views' in either case)

My 2 computers are almost identical. Both are Lenovo X230. Both are running windows 10 with all latest fix packs. Both Firefox are 52.0.2 32 bit

The mouse over zoom is nice since you can see the photos zoomed at 100% detail. With 'click to view...' you see the picture a bit larger but still resized down to fit inside the browser window so you generally can't see the same detail.

The workaround with zoom disabled is to load the picture in the browser and then save the image to the desktop and then open in an image viewer and then zoom to 100% but that is a bit of a guddle.

The problem only exists in Firefox. With Microsft Edge the zoom function is fine on both computers.

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

I see what you mean about the zoom feature being better for real closeups.

A few years ago I would have found that the best option too but I am no longer buying the china that I used to buy.

What I buy now does not really even need the click to enlarge.....don't need to inspect new DVDs in minute detail.:smileylo

As far back as I can remember the Click has been the most used function.....the zoom was very few and far between.

Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

If a seller has stock photo's as an image then zooming over them won't work

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

^^The problem is not to do with the listing photos being stock. The problem is that the zoom does not work with Firefox on my 1st computer even though it works OK for the same listing on my second computer.

e.g.

Here is a listing which has photos that zoom on computer 2 but do not zoom on computer 1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUILT-1-48-EDUARD-LIMITED-EDITION-HARRIER-GR-7-BOSCOMBE-DOWN-1996-/182504...

Would be curious to know if other users have zoom working for this listing on the Firefox browser

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

I have Click to enlarge on my new laptop, Windows 10 and Firefox as well as Chrome.

Dare I suggest if you want to Zoom and have one computer that will oblige with that function then you should stick with that one.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Zoom works fine for me with win 7 on both firefox and chrome.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

I'll check my OH's lappy later Padi.....he has Windows 7 with Firefox, Chrome and IE.

It is crazy, isn't it....no rhyme or reason for whether we can use Zoom or Click.   I certainly don't have Zoom accessible on this new lappy on either Firefox or Chrome.

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply