Multiple items bought, some faulty, should request full refund, or accept partial refund?

grpcol
Community Member

I bought four lots of this item <http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=161885081552&view=all&tid=1400338105006> (replacement inner tubes for my bicycle). I tried two of them, but both went completely flat the day I fitted them. I then used a different brand tube instead, which has been fine for the last several weeks, so I am assuming the purchased tubes are at fault. I requested a return for the tubes, and the seller offered 60% refund. Should I request full refund, or accept 60%? The time it would take to test the other tubes is worth more than what I paid for them, but I'm assuming they probably are also faulty and don't intend to try to use them.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Multiple items bought, some faulty, should request full refund, or accept partial refund?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I would go for the full refund.

Use the ebay dispute and the seller will have to pay the return postage if they want the items back.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Your link says that item is over 90 days old.     Is that right?

I'd take the 60% myself and be done with it

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

OP.. your purchase is during the past 6mths and over the 3mth time frame.... Take the 60%.
At $5 per tube, from China, and over 3mths since purchase, I think the seller is being very generous actually.

Stawka, I had to C&P to get it to load  Man Happy

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Well, in that case.............OP take the money and run...........runaway smiley.gif

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies,

I had requested refund and still have option to ask ebay to "step in" (but that ends very soon). I think I will ask them for full refund while I can. I was just very slow to follow up their replies to my refund request (though this also gave me time to test the other tube just to prove to myself that it wasn't a problem with my bike...)

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

As mentioned before you are out of time for an eBay dispute so you'll have to go through Paypal where (unlees you have already signed up for limited post cost refund) you'll be responsible for the return shipping' which will probably be more than the cost of the tubes.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Okay I didn't realise about that, does anyone have a reference to that from eBay website? I assumed it was still possible as says "If there's a problem, you can ask us to step in and help by Aug 10, 2016". I wonder what that deadline is for any why it would be longer than for an eBay dispute.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

eBay's money back guarantee has a 30 day limit starting from the latest estimated delivery date, whereas Paypal has a 180 day timelimit.

But as said Paypal will not reimburse you for return postage unless you have already signed up for their limited postage reimbursement.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks, so I see it is from <http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html#timelines>. I assume that "doesn't match the listing description" includes faulty items then.

I am still confused what "If there's a problem, you can ask us to step in and help by Aug 10, 2016" means if I still can' t raise a dispute, it wouldn't mean eBay is still allowing dispute to raised a little longer than official guarantee timeline would it? Anyway I said to seller I would accept 60%, now I will see what happens...

I also didn't realise that there was 30 day limit from (estimated) arrival to request return, that is good to know for future. I only knew about the 60 days from purchase to leave feedback.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply