New Way of Recording Bids?

I recently won an item on eBay UK, as the sole bidder. Four minutes before auction's end I filled in the amount and clicked on "Place Bid". As usual, the bid amount and time remaining appeared in a box. This is the normal, in-between step before a bid is actually registered.

Suddenly, on the listing (open in a second window), the number of bids went from 0 to 1. Realizing I had some competition, I upped my bid amount, placing the bid in the final seconds of the auction.

The bid history shows one bidder, two bids, with the first placed about four minutes prior to the second. There was no other bidder. In a sense I was bidding against myself. Previously, the history would have shown one bidder, one bid.

Has anyone noticed this change on the eBay.au site? Apart from being confusing, it also has implications for sniping. As a bidder, our presence is revealed to others viewing the listing at the moment we "set up" the bid, rather than at the time we actually bid. And what about change of mind - does the appearance of that "in-between" box now count as actually placing a bid even if we never follow through?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Can you post the item number ?

image host
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

I really don't understand what OP is saying because he is the one that made an initial bid and thought that it was someone else then made another bid.

Why would OP think that other bid was someone else?

Once you place a bid and click on it so it processes it's your bid.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

There is no such thing as an in between bid before it's registered?

I have an item that I'm bidding on at the moment and I have 2 bids on it with different amounts and they're both showing.

My first bid isn't hidden, they are both showing.

Must be a UK thingy lol.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

I am guessing the 1 bid shown in other window was actually OP's bid without having to refresh page.

Or seller placed bid with another account and quickly retracted it with selling account.

Or I have totally misunderstood. Smiley Very Happy

image host
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Here's the bidding list:

• Bidders:
  • Bids:
  • Time Ended:
    5 Jun 2018 at 5:04:06 AEST

crosbystills, you're the winner!

crosbystills GBP 39.99 5 Jun 2018 at 5:03:17 AEST --

crosbystills GBP 39.99 5 Jun 2018 at 4:59:41 AEST --  

Starting price GBP 39.99 2 Jun 2018 at 5:04:06 AEST

I didn't place a bid until 5:03:17, or so I thought. That's not quite right - I keyed in the bid amount at 5:03:17 (using "increase your bid" in the box) and confirmed my bid at 5:04:00.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

OP says they placed a bid 4 min before the end of auction but says it was an in between bid that for some reason shouldn't have been registered as a bid yet if I'm quoting OP correctly.

Then they went onto another screen and a bid showed up and thinking it was another bidder OP bid again only to realize it was his bid.

That's the part I don't get because I can see that the 2 bids I have made are both mine.

Maybe it's the delay when sometimes I see an auction on the search page and it shows no bids but when I go an click to make a bid there is actually another bid, I've encountered this a few times and when I queried this a while ago I was told that it was just a time thing meaning the pages take time to load properly with the correct time,this could be anywhere between 30 sec to 1 min.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

There is no such thing as an in between bid before it's registered?

It's an in-between step. You input an amount on the listing page and press "Place bid". A box comes up showing a countdown timer and a bid amount. At that point you can go away and have a cuppa. Returning later, you confirm (or increase and confirm) your bid. Only then is the bid placed.

My recent experience was different. According to the bidding list both bids were registered before they were confirmed. I only actually confirmed the second one.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

But is shows that you placed a bid at 5 Jun 2018 at 4:59:41 AEST-- which looks like the bid you placed 4 min before the end of the auction?

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

That's the part I don't get because I can see that the 2 bids I have made are both mine.

I didn't make the first bid. I left it sitting in the confirmation box. I then increased it, confirming it 6 seconds before auction's end.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply