New payment/Paypal checkout system is a pain

Up until a couple of days ago, to make a payment via PayPal all my credit/debit/bank cards showed up in the left panel and it was just a matter of ticking which card I wanted to use for payment.

Now if choose to make a payment other than by the bank transfer method, I have to enter the card details everytime.

The previous was so much better and quicker.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No, you are not using your paypal account....if you were, the paypal balance would be used first and then the balance would come from your choice of funding sources.

The only way to avoid this is to withdraw your paypal balance to your bank account before payment....or do as you have done and use paypal as a guest.

I also think you will find that there is no record of the transaction in your paypal account.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

When you hit the paypal button you usually find that the default option is your bank account, if you have one attached.  There is also a default credit card and near that there is a link to Change.  That gives you a drop down box detailing all your payment options attached to paypal.  You can choose whichever card you want to use.

If you hit the credit card option under the paypal option you are not paying with your paypal account but as a guest through paypal and that is why you are asked for all your card details.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

I just went through the process and it's definitely the way I described. I do have a PayPal balance but I don't want to use it. Perhaps the reason for the lack of options and having to enter card details?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

No, you are not using your paypal account....if you were, the paypal balance would be used first and then the balance would come from your choice of funding sources.

The only way to avoid this is to withdraw your paypal balance to your bank account before payment....or do as you have done and use paypal as a guest.

I also think you will find that there is no record of the transaction in your paypal account.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

You're right: - 2 out of 3 purchases this morning aren't showing on PayPal. Thankfully the seller is a very trusted one. I'll check very carefully next purchase for which I've been saving the PP balance.

Thanks for you help, Lyndal.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

You still do have paypal protection when you use pp as a guest but it is not as easy to access.

In the event of a problem I would go straight to a credit card chargeback if you have used the guest payment facility.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Just to let you know that once I used up my PayPal balance all my card options once again appeared.

Thanks once again.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply