Next step after issue with paypal email given

b_hoves
Community Member

Good Afternoon,

I won an auction for an item on Sunday the 6th of Sept. I paid straight away using the paypal email address that was in the listing. The next day I noticed that the payment was still pending because the seller hadn't 'accepted the payment'. I waited until wednesday and then sent the seller a message via ebay stating that I had paid and that there seems to be an issue with their PayPal. No response.

I waited a few days and sent another message on Friday reiterating that they should check on their PayPal and asking when the item might be sent. Still no response.

PayPal has given me the option to cancel the payment, which I just have and they will be refunding the money. However, I am unsure what to do next? Ebay still shows the listing as the same and the seller won't respond to my messages. Should I just leave it or is there another action I should take?

Thanks,

Robert

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sounds weird for sure.

Normally a seller doesn't have to "accept" payment, it just goes through automatically.

A few scenarios I can think of:

1) The seller hasn't sold in a long time and has changed their payment email address without updating it in Ebay and Paypal. If an old payment email address is still in the system, it might bounce if the email account is closed.

2) All sellers are being moved over to the new Managed Payments system, and perhaps there is a glitch.

3) Some sellers claim or create a "problem" with their email or Paypal account and encourage you to use bank deposit instead. Never do this.

Still, the seller should at least respond within 24 hours as a matter of courtesy. I would leave it and try and find another seller.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks for your response. I have been able to find another seller for a similar item. Hopefully, it goes a bit more smoothly.
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Anybody who wants to accept payment through Paypal has to upgrade their account to at least Premier. Just opening/using a standard account won't cut it.

It has been like that for at least the last 12 years.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply