Not letting me bid on an item

minmum66
Community Member

I am trying to bid on an item that is advertised as 0.99 with free postage.

There are no bids on this item at the moment.

After I place the bid it comes up with a message saying “Sorry the seller isn’t accepting bids or offers from you this time”.

I tried most of the day and it comes up with the same message.

The seller has a few of these items for sale.

There was one advertised for $31.20 BIN, which I saw a few days ago.

I messaged the seller with regards to postage (i.e. as to whether they will send it to a PO Box based at the post office).

They got back saying, they will only if I am in NSW as the seller is also based in NSW.

Could this be the reason, why I am unable to bid on the cheaper item & the seller has blocks in place to prevent me from buying the cheaper one?

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Not letting me bid on an item

You have to remember that it IS eBay we're talking about. Who knows why sometimes things have to be done a different way due to their glut of ongoing glitches.

The OP did mention that the seller also had the item as a BIN for a higher price, so maybe you saw that.

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

I expect that soon enough all buy it now items will have to be put in the cart.

eBay is pushing the cart for dear life. I have struck the same issue. Can't click on buy it now, but can add to cart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

@minmum66 wrote:

The seller says in his description will not post to post boxes.

So why are you even asking the seller to do that? And because they won't, you call them a scumbag! I think a lot of other sellers will now block you from buying.

Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

Yes, Lyndal, I am in NSW.

I have ordered a number of things through e-bay or online.

If their listing says they will not post to a po box I always ask them whether it is possible at all to get delivered to my PO Box c/o Australia Post, as I cannot be home waiting for the courier company to deliver an item. 

They have always said yes & in this instance the seller said "yes" via ebay e-mail, since I am in NSW.

A lot of sellers block bidders who ask for something that is a bit different to what they offer in the listing.

It saves arguments in the long run.

If the seller is using a courier service they cannot deliver to a PO Box anyway....as already mentioned.

As a matter of interest....are you in NSW as the seller specified?

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

The seller obviously uses a courier company and couriers companies don't deliver to a PO box.

Postage within the same state is cheaper for the seller.

And he is a scumbag ????????????

Over a 99 cent item with free postage, potentially having to wear defects and negative feedback if carrier loses item.

Couldn't the carrier lose an item my delivering to my home address as no one is home? There are thieves everywhere!! That is the reason why I have a PO BOX at the post office so I DO get my letters & parcels. I have had a number of things delivered to my PO BOX when asked, even when their listing says that they DO NOT deliver it to a PO BOX.

Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@minmum66 wrote:

The seller says in his description will not post to post boxes.

I made an enquiry saying that I was interested in the item ONLY if they could send it to my PO Box which many other sellers have done so, despite their listing.

The seller got back to me saying that they are willing to post the item only if I am in NSW as it costs too much to post interstate. Yes the item is FREE Postage.

I do not understand "why" they would block me? What a scumbag of a company!!

You do realise that to mail even a small, standard letter now costs $1.00. Ebay charge fees to list items, commision on the sale and paypal want a cut for collecting your money. If the item goes for 99 cents, the seller is going to be paying for you to take it away. It would be cheaper for him to bin it. He runs the high risk you will leave negative feedback or give him a defect. AND YOU THINK HE,S A SCUMBAG !!!!!    I think I know why they blocked you !!!!         Smiley Frustrated

If they want to make money why advertise something for 0.99 cents? This particular seller has few items of the same. The item that I made an enquiry on was $31.20 BIN. After I received a reply saying that they will post to a PO Box, I came across one the seller has going for 0.99 cents. If it was you which one would you try & buy??  

Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

You seem to be missing the point.....if a seller is using a courier service instead of Australia Post then they CANNOT deliver to a PO Box, no matter what they say.

If you are not home when an AP parcel is delivered then it is usually carded and the parcel left at the PO anyway.  Quite often if the delivery centre staff know you have a PO box they will end it straight there instead of attempting a street address delivery.

Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

If the seller has blocks in place to block PO boxes and your address is a PO box, then there's your answer. If you really want the item, change your address to a residential address and you should be able to bid. Although if you called him a scumbag in your message to them, they have probably added you to their blocked buyer list by now anyway. Blocking buyers with a PO box does NOT make the seller a scumbag. It just means they won't post to a PO box, probably for the reasons mentioned (i.e uses a courier).

If you refuse to change from having a PO box as your address, you lose. Plain and simple as that.

Where in my post, did I say I called the seller a scumbag in a message to them??

If you read my post carefully you will know why I am calling them a scumbag in this forum & that is my true opinion of them under the circumstances.  

Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

You could try buying the more expensive item and see if the sale goes through.

Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

@minmum66 wrote:

If you read my post carefully you will know why I am calling them a scumbag in this forum & that is my true opinion of them under the circumstances.  

There are plenty of sellers reading the buying board....most of the answers here are from sellers.

Word soon get around that you are badmouthing a seller and other sellers will block you just because they can.

Message 20 of 41
Latest reply