Opened a refund request and seller just cancelled it no explanation

Does anyone know what I can do, purchased 6 weeks ago now, been in ebay message contact since couple weeks later. Then last week they stopped replying. The puzzle I received is batch cut wrong, all pieces same cut so many pieces fit in same spot you can't do the puzzle. I opened a refund request today but seller cancelled it, no explanation. I now can't reopen or lodged it again. Any suggestions? I just want to return it and get a refund.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sellers cannot cancel cases  - there needs to be a  resolution, so this seems a bit weird. 

Did you open the case for "Not as Described"?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Actually, I think you may be out of time for opening a case, as you need to do it within a certain time frame from delivery (I think 30 days).

You can, however, open a case in Paypal as you have 180 days.

If the seller is registered within Australia, they will have to send you a shipping label if they want it back. You must not send it back at your expense under any circumstances.

If the seller is overseas, their only option will be to refund you.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I opened 'return an item for a refund' , then did 'faulty or damaged'. I then got a message 'This return is closed'.

When I go into it, it says Thee seller declined the return request.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Thank you very much for that.

It's very annoying as I started to discuss the issue with them a couple week after purchase, I thought they were helping me rectify it. I'll lodge it with PayPal then, they are located in Victoria.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I guess the seller was able to decline the return request as you were outside the timeframe.

Generally, I would advise that you never go back and forth negotiating with the seller. If there is no satisfactory outcome after first contact, then open a case, as some sellers know there is a time limit and will do their best to delay you.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@aurebec_a7vuxq9fh wrote:

I opened 'return an item for a refund' , then did 'faulty or damaged'. I then got a message 'This return is closed'.

When I go into it, it says Thee seller declined the return request.

Some time ago (when ebay first introduced the option to return an item for a refund) I asked the seller to refund as the item was shorter than usual (links removed from a bracelet and not noted).  He refused so I tried to go the route of not as described.  I could not do it as ebay deemed the seller's refusal to refund as a settlement of the dispute.  I will never use the request for a refund again.....straight to a full blown dispute for me.

I am afraid a paypal dispute is your only option now.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Had something similar. I opened a case for item not received and it got escalated by the selller to eBay and without giving me a chance to put my side it got decided and closed by eBay the very same day.

I have been with eBay over 15 years and just got shafted by a scammer and eBay, and their ‘money back guarantee’. Not only did I not get my $714 back but they removed my negative feedback!! 

I bought prepaid satchels which never came. But tracking said it did. Australia post were awesome. They fully investigated and said that only small envelopes were sent (too small to contain my purchase), likely to another P.O. Box and they wrote me a letter confirming it was likely a scam. The guy also told me on the phone that eBay is aware of this scam but wouldn’t help me and I should seek ‘chargebacks’ from my bank. 

But the scammer told eBay tracking said it arrived and eBay didn’t even bother to give me a chance to reply but decided the case the same day it was escalated to them by the seller (I tried and tried to put in my side but there was no ability to add anything except my initial comments from a week earlier that it hadn’t arrived and I was investigating) because tracking shows it arrived that’s it. I didn’t even get a chance to submit my Australian post letter. Then they deleted my feedback as the final kick up the **bleep**.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I can only assume you think spamming the forum over and over and over with this same rant is somehow going to change anything

Keep going and a mod is likely to ban you from posting anything at all

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

The poster rileys.books is just replying to threads giving account of their negative experience. Overly keen possibly yes but not spamming!

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply