Ordered item and was sent item different to listing, seller refuses return.

zase_5472
Community Member

Attempted to order a headset online, specifically a 'Logitech G933 Black Over the Ear Headset', and when the order was processed the item sent was a microphone used for music recording. I attempted a return citing either an incorrect/false listing, or a technical glitch. However the seller was uncooperative and didn't reply until i took it up with eBay itself, but was shut down immediately.

Is there anymore i can do about this? Or should i just let the item arrive and then resell it at cost price?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Ordered item and was sent item different to listing, seller refuses return.

You can't make an appeal because you haven't received the item yet. All you can do now is wait until it arrives. 

What item is showing in your purchase history?

There is clearly something going on, because when you click see more on the headphone listing, it takes you to the mic listing, which is a completely different item number. The item number for the headphones doesn't exist in the system.

If you get no help from the seller after the item arrives, try getting onto eBay via the live chat. They may be able to see what was listed with that item number.

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

@zase_5472 wrote:

Thats the item they're sending me, but the page i ordered it on listed a gaming headset.

Here's the listing I ordered from

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/227325061

For future reference, this was not the seller's fault or doing at all, it's eBay's.

For the last couple of years, they have been trying to shift to a different listing style, where, insead of having a list of 50 identical items from 50 different sellers on one search page, they have one product listing where you see one seller / price in the main listing, and links to the item from other sellers within that listing.

Your link goes to that kind of format of listing.

But, in typical eBay style, it often amalgamates multiple listings of different products. You're not the first person to be caught out, and you probably won't be the last, but if you take anything away from this experience, it should be this: never (ever) buy from this format of listing, always click the "see details" link (not the read full description link), full details link takes you to the full listing of the product that you'd be purchasing via "buy now", read description link (where it appears) just opens the description itelf, with no price, buy now buttons etc, in a bew tab. 

This is the listing for the headset from the seller you purchased from - you can see it has a completely different title to the one in your link, and the reason for that is because eBay pulls details from multiple listings when they create the type of listing in your link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Logitech-G-Pro-Surround-Sound-Wired-Gaming-Headset-Black-for-PC-...

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Ebay needs to be taken to task over this....what a mess!!
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

I've looked at the seller's completed listings back to 20th November and they haven't sold one of those in that period, so I'd say you must have purchased the wrong item somehow.

What I did see is the microphone below at the same price and sold on 30th November.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Audio-Technica-ATR2100x-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-XLR-Microphone-USB-A-USB-C-...

the screenshot shows that ebay (on the bar at the top) have said: see more Logitech headsets:

2020-12-03.png

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

The listing for the microphone is currently well over 7 years old, however back in May of this year, quite a few changes were made, including the ebay item category, seller's store category, description and images (this appears to have happened in the revision history of the listing a couple of times before, too).

I suspect the microphone listing probably was a listing for a Logitech headset at some stage, and eBay's system just hasn't "realised" it yet.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

I feel sorry for the seller now, too.....maybe the OP could alert them to this thread
Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

zase_5472
Community Member
I will go about doing so, I’m opening up dialogue with my bank as well to raise a dispute on the issue. I’ll give them the information from this thread
Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

@zase_5472 wrote:
I will go about doing so, I’m opening up dialogue with my bank as well to raise a dispute on the issue. I’ll give them the information from this thread

Please keep us updated, this is sounding quite serious, both for buyer and seller.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

@zase_5472 wrote:

Please be careful opening disputes.
Most options (ebay, paypal and most banks) tell you that you can only open one dispute at a time or they will all be cancelled.

The usual order is ebay, followed by paypal if the ebay one fails....and finally a bank chargeback if all else has failed.

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply