Ordered item and was sent item different to listing, seller refuses return.

zase_5472
Community Member

Attempted to order a headset online, specifically a 'Logitech G933 Black Over the Ear Headset', and when the order was processed the item sent was a microphone used for music recording. I attempted a return citing either an incorrect/false listing, or a technical glitch. However the seller was uncooperative and didn't reply until i took it up with eBay itself, but was shut down immediately.

Is there anymore i can do about this? Or should i just let the item arrive and then resell it at cost price?

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

when you get the item....do a 'live chat' with ebay & explain the circumstances.....bring their attention to this thread.....if you have no luck, you will have to dispute through PayPal (you have 180 days there)

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

@zase_5472 wrote:

Thats the item they're sending me, but the page i ordered it on listed a gaming headset.

Here's the listing I ordered from

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/227325061

For future reference, this was not the seller's fault or doing at all, it's eBay's.

For the last couple of years, they have been trying to shift to a different listing style, where, insead of having a list of 50 identical items from 50 different sellers on one search page, they have one product listing where you see one seller / price in the main listing, and links to the item from other sellers within that listing.

Your link goes to that kind of format of listing.

But, in typical eBay style, it often amalgamates multiple listings of different products. You're not the first person to be caught out, and you probably won't be the last, but if you take anything away from this experience, it should be this: never (ever) buy from this format of listing, always click the "see details" link (not the read full description link), full details link takes you to the full listing of the product that you'd be purchasing via "buy now", read description link (where it appears) just opens the description itelf, with no price, buy now buttons etc, in a bew tab. 

This is the listing for the headset from the seller you purchased from - you can see it has a completely different title to the one in your link, and the reason for that is because eBay pulls details from multiple listings when they create the type of listing in your link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Logitech-G-Pro-Surround-Sound-Wired-Gaming-Headset-Black-for-PC-...

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Can you confirm what you mean by you attempted a return?

The usual correct procedure would be opening an item not as described dispute 

How did you go about taking it up with eBay?

Again, if the correct procedure was followed they should not have shut it down, certainly not immediately

Unless you opened an item not recieved dipsute and the seller could prove delivery via tracking

Could you clarify exactly what happened

How long ago did you buy the item ?

Where is the seller registered?  (shown on their feedback page)

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Thanks for the reply.

After making the purchase i later got a notification saying it was sent, and after reviewing it i found it was wrong and attempted to cancel the order, which was denied.

I sent a message to the seller requesting a return based on the incorrect listing, which was denied. And today i opened a return request with eBay, on the basis of incorrect listing. This return request was cancelled within the hour, the seller later emailing me stating that they had not encountered a glitch like this, even though i can still visit the page and test that the listing is still incorrect.

Item was purchased on the 30th Nov., and I messaged the seller the same day, and eBay today on the 2nd Dec. after the 3 days had elapsed.

Seller is registered in Australia.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

It's no wonder eBay closed the case when you haven't even received the item. Your only chance now is to open a dispute with Paypal when the item arrives if it actually is "not as described".

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

It's 2 days, not 3.

You obviously haven't received it, so naturally your not as described case was closed - how do you know it's not as described if you haven't received it? How do you know they sent something other than what you ordered if you haven't received it?

I would be a bit patient and worry about it AFTER you receive it, though because you jumped the gun, you probably won't be able to do anything through eBay

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Its not a not as described complaint, its an incorrect listing complaint. The item being sent is a studio microphone, the item listed on the page was a gaming headset.

I would post a screenshot of what i mean but the file type doesn't allow me.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

There are 2 types of dispute; not received or not as described. It's too early for either, so opening a case was the incorrect action.

I don't make the rules and eBay rarely bend them.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

I was given a list of about 10 different reasons for dispute i could use, so idk?

One was incorrect listing, i picked that.

Given the replies thus far i most likely will not open the product and resell it at cost price, as it seems it's not going to be able to be returned.

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I did not realise when I replied the item had not actually arrived yet , which is why I asked 'exactly' what happened 

Did the seller confirm they have sent the 'other' item, rather than the confirmation being 'incorrect' ?

Was it a stand alone listing or a multi-listing where you select the item from a drop down menu ?

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Apologies for lack of clarity, the seller has confirmed they've sent the microphone, and insists it's correct. And it's a stand-alone listing.

Here's the link if you want to inspect it yourself.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/227325061

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply