Paid for item; seller not responding, item delisted -

abigaisi_0
Community Member

I enquired about an item and the seller responded once. I then bought the item (not a small purchase) and the seller has not responded to ~5 messages since. 

The item has since been delisted on eBay and the seller has still not responded to my message asking for clarification.

Amount has been deducted from my account via PayPal.

The expected delivery date is between 25 Sep-8 Oct (coming from another state).

Anything I can do before then or do I just wait until expected date has lapsed then lodge a complaint?

Please help a frustrated buyer out! Was a big present to myself so I am rather disappoionted Smiley Sad 

Thanks for any help in advance! 

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If the seller is not responding, check the tracking number if there is one.

Otherwise all you can do is wait until the last estimated delivery date before opening a case for INR.

However, give it a little extra time as there are delays due to Covid-19.

image host
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you for your help! 

Unfortunately no tracking number, item comes up as not having been posted yet on eBay. 

Do you know how good eBay are at helping refund you if the case turns out to be true (i.e. I've paid, seller does not respond, item not posted by "delivery date")?

I've read not to open a case with both eBay and PayPal simultaneously..  

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

@abigaisi_0 wrote:

Thank you for your help! 

Unfortunately no tracking number, item comes up as not having been posted yet on eBay. 

Do you know how good eBay are at helping refund you if the case turns out to be true (i.e. I've paid, seller does not respond, item not posted by "delivery date")?

I've read not to open a case with both eBay and PayPal simultaneously..  

Correct. eBay's MBG is superior to Paypal's for Item Not Received, as eBay require proof of delivery, whereas Paypal only require proof of postage.

I suggest you are overreacting a tad. The delivery window, even by eBay's optimistic standards, isn't even close to expired. In fact, it hasn't even opened. Possibly the seller has an extended handling time to obviate the need to explain to their customers that postage is slow. You will just have to be patient.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you for your help.

No worries, I understand - I guess just a little nervous given no response, the item being delisted and the purchase being quite considerable.. but patience is a virtue! 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

When did you buy it?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "the item has been delisted by ebay"?

If you bought the item it is not going to stay listed.....it automatcially ends.

Can you post the item number so someone can see if it raises any flags.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, I was wondering what delisted meant too.

Abigaisi, I can understand you might feel a bit worried if you've paid a fair bit of money and have not had any response from the seller to messages sent after the sale. Plus, there has been no indication the item has been sent.

You're going to have to play this one carefully and if you do that, you should have no problems.

It is possible the seller has posted your item and has just not been back on ebay since the sale, so has not seen your messages.

So everything may be okay and your worries resolved in the next few days.

Given though that it is an expensive item, I would have thought the seller would send it with tracking and quite often, a seller would provide you with a tracking number asap after sending it.

If you do not receive the item in the time frame quoted, then you will need to swing into action.

How soon you do that depends on what has happened by then. If you have not received an answer to your messages or a tracking number by then,  I would open an item not received claim immediately the ETA passes.

I think you get 30 days from the ETA in which to open an item not received claim. If you do have to go down that road, don't close the case until you either get the item or money back.

Once you open the case, ebay will give the seller a few days but at the end of that time if you don't have item or money (no matter what the seller says), you will need to go in and close the case to claim a refund.

If that didn't work out, you always have paypal, you have 180 days in which to claim from them but same sort of deal, if you open a claim, you have to finalise it, don't just let it time out.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I think you get 30 days from the ETA in which to open an item not received claim. If you do have to go down that road, don't close the case until you either get the item or money back.

Once you open the case, ebay will give the seller a few days but at the end of that time if you don't have item or money (no matter what the seller says), you will need to go in and close the case to claim a refund.

No springy, the buyer has to escalate the case and ask eBay to step in, not close it.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You're right, I've used the wrong wording.

Hopefully the buyer will take note anyway because the main point I was trying to get across (badly as it turns out) is that the buyer can't just open the case and let it hang.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply