Paid with Paypal date changes

I purchased an item on Aug 8, it was marked posted on Aug 16, but now says I paid Paypal on 15th. (looks like the Seller posted the day after payment, not eight days later) What is going on here?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Either you paid a week after purchasing, or your credit card has expired and your payment therefore went through as an eCheque.

Easily solved - log into Paypal and check the history page to see the entire process for that transaction.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

I checked my paypal account and all co-incides with my records.

No problems with my credit card or paypal account,(PAYMENT completed Aug 10 according to paypal, two days after payment.... this is normal) Just Purchase History in eBay somehow being manipulated. Have noticed this just recently. I always pay straight away unless waiting for an invoice which means I pay the next day if it is International. In recent times I have been puzzled to find payment dates not being in the right sequence on Purchase history, and yet they are paid in sequence (except of course the ones with invoices to be received) Just checked again, one of the purchases now

claims to have been posted three days BEFOREpayment. The truth on this one, posted several days later. I think I need to get in touch with ebay. Just thought other buyers should be aware of this, something is definitely going on here. I wont be relying on these dates to give star ratings in future.?:|

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

protect*the*innocent
Community Member

Sounds like an eCheque.  eBay only mark the transaction as paid when the eCheque clears which can be up to 7 days after payment was made.

With so many buyers unaccustomed to how eCheques work, I think it makes sense for sellers to send an email to the buyer confirming their payment is being processed by Paypal and will only be posted once Paypal clear the eCheque

We do this for our customers (on selling ID) and it certainly circumvents the 'why haven't you posted my item yet??' messages from eCheque customers - and gives them the opportunity to ask us 'what's an eCheque?' 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I noticed this happen with one of my purchases several months ago - I make far too many these days to pay much attention to dates, but I did pick up on this one as I thought it unusual for the particular seller.

The purchase was made and paid for after receiving a combined postage invoice, all within 24 hours. Payment was made with funds in my PayPal account, so it wasn't an eCheque and not possible to be an issue with any cards. The item wasn't marked as posted until a week later, at which point the "Paid with PayPal" date suddenly became the date prior to when it was marked as posted.

I didn't question the seller about it or anything re: postage time (they have always posted within 24 hours of my making payment), but if I had to offer possible explanation, there may have been some kind of delay in processing things on their side and didn't receive payment or notification until the later date.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

What I have noticed is that echq - even tho paypal advise pmt cleared within 3 - 5 days are taking a whole lot longer. I had one a couple of weeks ago and it was 8 days - pretty poor really

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I have just noticed this problem again.  I don't go looking for it, but it comes to my attention when I receive an "item posted" notification via email, several days after payment has been made (I'm sure it was marked "posted" in eBay several days ago)  Anyhow, paid on the 23rd December, is now showing paid on 28th December and posted on 29th December. Previously it showed paid on the 23rd (the correct day) and that is still the date showing when I check the actual order details.  This only seems to happen when there are several days between when I paid and when it was posted.  ALL other purchases that are sent promptly keep the correct payment date. It looks rather suspiciously like the Seller is manipulating this to avoid a less than 5 star rating on postage time. If this is the case, it is a bit unwarranted, as being so close to Xmas and the weekend in between, I would have expected a delay in posting.  However, the idea that someone is trying to put one over makes me a little cranky.  Does anyone have any other explanations for this?  No, it is not anything to do with my account.  I am verified, use Paypal, make immediate payments, have a credit card and bank account attached.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

There is absolutely no way a seller can manipulate the dates. They just can't do it. It's more likely to be an eBay/PayPal system thing.

Could you not have started a new thread rather than drag up one that's over 2 years old?

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

No one is manipulating anything,  spoke with customer service and they said that it's going to be that way from now on, 'To keep Oz in line with every single eBay site they control, all dates and times will now be in USA time'  The rep then suggested that as many of us that can (or want to) go to eBay suggestions - wherever that may be - and point out to management that we are in Australia and that Australian time and dates should be shown and NOT the USA date and time lines and perhaps they will consider it - yeah right!!

Shoot me down if you will, I'm bullet proof, but that's what they said - Happy New Year everyone :))

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Paypal has always used USA time which is the reason the boardies have always suggested opening paypal disputes by day 43 at the latest as it is very easy to miss the cutoff if there is a glitch of any sort..

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply