PayPal is ending refunded returns this November 2022

A head’s-up for buyers…

Received from PayPal:

❝Our Refunded Returns service is coming to an end. Starting 27 November 2022, PayPal will no longer accept refund requests for return shipping costs.

Make sure to submit any eligible refund requests before the above date to ensure your claim is accepted. And remember, PayPal’s Buyer Protection service will continue to be available on eligible purchases.❞

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

wgldkd
Community Member

Why? it's the only reason I use PayPal...

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Probably because it's costing them too much money.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I can understand that, in a way. It isn't really their responsibility to be paying for returns. Their job though is to make sure a buyer is refunded, preferably from the seller's funds, if there is a problem.

Ideally, they should give the seller a limited time to provide a postage label but if that isn't forthcoming, just refund the buyer in full without the need for the buyer to return.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

With Australia anything sold to someone (online or not) that is defective or not as advertised, is the sellers responsibly to pay for return shipping (yes even internationally, if you sell to Australia).. So can purchasers now get PayPal now take that fee for the return from the sellers?.. I think not!

See:

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/problems-with-products-and-services/repair-replace-refund#:~:text=....

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

With PayPal returns, buyers could also return items for free if they changed their mind I think. It was actually quite nice, even if I never had to use it.

Maybe it was costing them too much money, as dave said.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

If the overseas business contravenes Australian consumer law, then:

Return costs

If the business confirms that the product does have a problem, it must reimburse the consumer for any reasonable return costs they have already paid.

Consumers should keep receipts for postage or transport costs so that they can be repaid by the business.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Online businesses and consumer law

Businesses must not make false or misleading claims in advertising, on their own website, on social media or on other platforms. These rules also apply to what businesses do with their online product reviews.

Overseas online businesses

When an online business is based overseas and provides goods or services directly to consumers in Australia, the business must follow the Australian Consumer Law, including the consumer guarantees.

Paypal cannot have a policy that the Australian buyer pays for return postage if the overseas seller contravenes Australian consumer law. If paypal refuses in these cases, then contract the ACCC.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

If the entity IS a business.

Australian Consumer law is unenforceable if the seller is not a registered business in Australia.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply