Paypal dispute - unsure what to do next

Hi, I know that this is something that you are all asked often however, I am unsure what to do.

I received some headphones that were faulty. I contacted the seller who told me to post them back. However, I have read on here previously that you should not send anything back until you lodge a dispute with paypal (I hope I have remembered that correctly).

The dispute has been lodged and the seller (through paypal) has advised me to send them back. Is it that simple, do I just send them back to the seller (by registered post I assume)?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Let me add that I did email paypal and asked this question and I received this generic reply:

When you have a problem with a transaction, you can communicate with your seller by opening a dispute in our Resolution Center.

Here's how to communicate during a dispute:

I didnt copy the whole message because I am sure you get the picture. It didnt answer my question though.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I think the most common reason to go via paypal is that you get the 'correct address' to return it to. If you returned to say an address on an invoice or a note that address may be different to the address paypal has on file. Then if seller claimed they did not receive it back you could not prove postage sufficiently to paypal and seller would not have to refund.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

In view of the fact that the seller has told you twice to send the item back, you could ask them via the dispute for the address.

If you have a problem and you do eventually have to escalate to a claim paypal will be able to see that you have sent to the address that the seller gave you.

There is no reason to believe that you are going to have to escalate so it seems a shame to get a seller off side when they are trying to help you.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Escalate the dispute to a claim and paypal will give you the address to return the item to via registered post.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Wow. I didnt expect to receive different answers. Lol.

Thank you all for your help.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

In view of the fact that the seller has told you twice to send the item back, you could ask them via the dispute for the address.

If you have a problem and you do eventually have to escalate to a claim paypal will be able to see that you have sent to the address that the seller gave you.

There is no reason to believe that you are going to have to escalate so it seems a shame to get a seller off side when they are trying to help you.

lyndal1838(Private)View Listings Subscribe Ignore (7 of 7) Re: what happens when a seller doesn't respond to a paypal dispute? Nov 10, 2012 10:...Reply |Report Abuse

Once a dispute has been escalated to a claim neither of you can communicate through the dispute. It is entirely in paypal's hands and you will have to wait until the dispute is found in your favour before you will be given the address to send the item back.

Never send it to an address given by the seller...it has to be to the address given by paypal.

The seller has 10 days to reply to paypal (not to you) and if they do not do so then paypal will decide in your favour and give you the address.

Make sure you use Registered Post and send the paperwork to paypal...do not just enter a tracking number into the dispute.

lyndal, can you please clarify for me? I was reading through some other questions and noticed that you said something different to someone else. Can you please tell me what is different in my situation where you suggested for me to send my item to an address the seller has given me?

I apologise if I am missing something here, I am trying to learn the process.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you read the topic title you will see that I was replying to an OP who wanted to know what to do when a seller was not replying to a dispute. In that case the dispute had been escalated to a claim and the OP was annoyed that the seller was not communicating. What she did not understand was that once the dispute is escalated there is no further communication between the buyer and seller. It is paypal who takes over and tells you what to do.

In your case the seller is communicating and is being helpful.  By keeping all communication in the dispute paypal can see that the seller will refund/replace when they get the item back. I can see no reason in your case to escalate the dispute and get the seller off side.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Ok, I understand. Thank you. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply