Paypal or ebay sent wrong address

I'm just wondering, but is it possible to have the same correct address in both the paypal and ebay recepits, but somehow have the seller get sent on the invoice an old address used for previous purchases from competely different sellers?

It seems to have happened to me.  I was expecting a particular ebay parcel, but I think it may have turned up at my old address in a different state.  I just tripled checked that both the ebay and parcel receipts have the same correct address, but somehow what seems to be the parcel arrived at a completely different address?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Paypal use the address supplied by eBay checkout. I believe the last address you got something sent to is the default one eBay display to you in checkout. If you go through checkout using that one, then you are confirming it is correct. If you have moved since your last purchase that would explain it.

In any case it is up to you to ensure the correct delivery address is selected when you go through checkout. The seller can only go with the information you have given them.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

The thing is that I've had paypal things sent to my new address before.  And I just signed in to check both ebay and paypal. Both have my correct new address listed for that particular item.  No mention at all about the old address on the receipts, but somehow the old address got given to the seller.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

When you go through checkout the address that appears at the top left of the page is the one that goes through to Paypal.

You can of course change that address to any one you like before completing checkout.

Sometimes checkout will default to an alternative or old address, that address will appear on the 'your item has sold' email that the seller receives.

If you then go through checkout and change the address back to your new one then if the seller does not check they may post to the address on the item sold email.

You need to check and see what address is showing on the Paypal transaction page, if the seller has not sent to that address then they are responsible and should refund you or send a replacement.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

On my "Here's your order confirmation" email from ebay I have it lists the correct address.  Is it possible for the sellers "'your item has sold'" email to displayed a different address?  In which case is it some ebay bug?

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Also double check this -

In my ebay summary page, hover over account tab and select personal information.

Then to the right of registered name and address, select edit.

There are 3 addresses there to check,

Registration address

Primary postal address

Post from address

I am gueesing you haven't changed the primary postal address. 🙂

image host
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Thanks for that, just checked, my primary address is still the old one, fixed now.  I just cannot understand why ebay & paypal would send the old "primary address" to the seller, while informing me on my emails that I selected the new address.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

On my "Here's your order confirmation" email from ebay I have it lists the correct address.  Is it possible for the sellers "'your item has sold'" email to displayed a different address?  In which case is it some ebay bug?

I doubt it but it's possible. In addition to what kope said about the primary eBay shipping address, also check what your primary shipping address is with PayPal. It's listed in Profile > Add or Edit Shipping Address. My correct shipping address is listed as Home (first on the list and is connected to my payment method.)

If your old addresses are listed there, you might want to just delete them and have one single address listed in both eBay and PayPal.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

I doubt it but it's possible. In addition to what kope said about the primary eBay shipping address, also check what your primary shipping address is with PayPal. It's listed in Profile > Add or Edit Shipping Address. My correct shipping address is listed as Home (first on the list and is connected to my payment method.)

If your old addresses are listed there, you might want to just delete them and have one single address listed in both eBay and PayPal.

Sorry Soulyearns, but quite a few times I have had the original "your item sold" email have a totally different address to that showing once the buyer has gone through checkout, and have had to contact the buyer for clarification - I can only assume it has defaulted to an old / original address.

To cover myself, I ALWAYS check the address against that on the paypal payment, or the one given when they go through checkout and select bank deposit.

To my knowledge, you can have quite a number of addresses linked to paypal ( I personally have about 5 - all family members who don't have / don't want a paypal account).  You have to manually select a different address to your primary one when you make a payment!

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

How can I stop this happening again if I want to not just delete all but one address?  It's quite disconcerting to select one address in both ebay and paypal, but have the seller get emailed a completely different address.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply