Paypal wants me to send my faulty item to CHINA when the listing states the seller is located in SYD

Paypal wants me to send my faulty item to CHINA when the listing states the seller is located in SYDNEY. So because the seller lied on the listing now I have to fork out more for international shipping to return this faulty fake item.

I dont think its fair. Paypal should have a rule that if you falsify your location details you lose the right to have the item shipped back to you if the buyer disagrees. Item was 120 and its going to cost me 95 to send back!

Paypal say that I have to send it there as its the sellers address! Umm not what I agreed to when I purchased the listing.

Anyone come across this?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Paypal wants me to send my faulty item to CHINA when the listing states the seller is located in

Sadly, this is one of the biggest drawbacks of PayPal Buyer Protection. I know it won't help in this case, but if something like this happens again, your best bet is to go through eBay's Money Back Guarantee, as the return address must match the location stated in the listing, or the buyer doesn't have to return the item unless the seller pays for the postage. 

You can try calling PayPal and explaining the situation (i.e. that the return address doesn't  match the item location, and the return costs are highly disproportionate to the item value - best to have an AP quote to show them if required), they may be able to help. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Re: Paypal wants me to send my faulty item to CHINA when the listing states the seller is located in

cq_tech
Community Member

Lodge a complaint with the financial ombudsmans service at https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute and inform Paypal that you've done so. You may find that they'll suddenly change their mind, and if not, it's quite possible that the ombudsman will change it for them. If the listing stated that the item was located in Sydney, then that's where it should be returned IMO.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Probably it would be much better for ebay to take responsibility for their own business.You part with your money and if something goes wrong wait for ages dealing with "experts" from paypal.I have lost a few hundred dollars due to paypal "rules"One of the most

stupid ones is buyers return costs.The Chinese crooks are clever.Sell something cheap but with high shipment cost.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

When the fees on postage came in, eBay said it was due to people selling something for 99c and having postage costs of $100. That was a crock. People still do that. I believe the reason they do that is if someone opens a PayPal dispute, where the buyer wants a refund, they only get the 99c refund, not the cost of postage. Win win for the dodgy seller and the buyer is out a fortune.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

That would apply to a change of mind return via eBay, but in other cases the buyer gets a refund of the original payment in full. 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Yes, totally agree, we got caught a while back with an item not as described, and when we purchased it, the item location was Sydney, but Paypal ruled that we had to return it  to China at a cost of $70 when the item was $130 to buy. Talk about fraudulent

listings. We took it on the chin, but their feedback copped a trashing. Since that one, we will not buy any serious items from Chinese registered sellers that state item location is anywhere in Aust, as it is a total lie, they are not here at all, but bulk flying cartons out here when we order the item. This is why it takes at least a week to get items from these sellers, yet Aussie items are delivered within a couple of days. Ebay and Paypal........at times should be Pay enemy, no pal about it, will do nothing due to the fee income involved. I don't know wheather the FOB will have any say over the matter if the seller is registered offshore. I have reported several of these sellers for item location lies, but nothing is done.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Doesn't the seller pay the return postage anyway with the money back guarantee? Though that was how it worked.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
Doesn't the seller pay the return postage anyway with the money back guarantee? Though that was how it worked.

For an item not as described, yes, they are supposed to, but a return is required in order for the buyer to get a refund, and in some cases eBay can't / won't force a seller to pay for the postage up front, eg I can't buy a shipping label for an overseas customer, so in the case of INAD and where the return address doesn't match the item location in the listing, the buyer is not required to return unless the seller pays for it up front. 

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply