Phantom bidders that then retract

I'll try to make this as simple as possible to understand.

Say there are three bidders on an Item, Bidder A is real, bidder B is a Phantom (but I guess could also be a real bidder then bidder C, (myself.)

Ok bidder A has put a bid on of lets say $245

Bidder B comes in and bids $305

Then bidder C puts in a bid of $255 and gets outbid and told to go $265 or higher.

Then say bidder C again bids $265 and still outbid and so bids again up to $300. You are then outbid still and decide to stop.

At end of auction bidder B supposedly retracts and bidder C is offered to buy it at $300.

Now if bidder B wasnt in the equation rightfully bidder C should have won the auction at $250 (bids were increased at $5 intervals) but this isnt the case. Am I right to say this is a scam ebay needs to look into?

Needles to say I said stuff you as I suspected what was going on

Cheers Jeff

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

aps1080
Community Member

How can you put in a bid for $255 when bidder B has already bid $305 ?????

The way you wrote it is a bit confusing although I think I know how it went.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I think I know what your getting at. It sounds to me like the Seller may be dodgy. Gets mates etc to bid up the items. If that is the case, it's illegal to do, but sometimes very difficult to prove. Were you talking about Schill Bidding ?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

aps1080
Community Member

jeffrey

Have a look to see if the other biders bidding history and who they bid on.

If most of the other bidder is with the one seller, it will show up.

and confirm your suspicions.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

This 'shill' bidding definitely goes on! In the last few weeks I have seen a number of items that look to be going for ridiculously high prices comparitively speaking! A few examples; item A sells for $255, where another item exactly the same is still waiting to be sold at $250 with free shipping! Item B sells for $270, where the exact same item fails to sell at a starting price of $80 a few days later!! Where did the rival bidders on item B go? The seller of item A and B is the same, and these are only two examples, oh, and surprise surprise the bidders are hidden 'to protect their identities'!! It deffo happens and I am surprised those bidding or overpaying are not lodging complaints!!

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

They arent overpaying, they bid on the item.

The market value of an tem is what someone is prepared to pay for it, not what it cost to make or what someone else is selling it for.

People forget that.

But I agree, shill bidding goes on.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

OK, maybe I haven't worded it correctly but the fact remains bidder B has pulled out after they were the one jacking up the price, there for it shouldn't be selling $5 less their bid. It should revert back to when they came in
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yes thanks for your reply, and thats the key word, "private listers"

The thing is only the first and last letter/number is shown to protect identity so I dont get how they can come up with this private lister **bleep**. It opens everything for exploitation.

And yes Ive seen that before many times where you can buy it now for cheaper than where the bidding price is at.

Guess it comes down to, "if you dont like dont use it" 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Can you put the item number here please?

It does not sound like shill bidding if the highest bidder only entered one bid and was the highest bidder.

It sounds more like the highest bidder did not complete the transaction and you were offered the item as a Second Chance Offer at the highest amount you were prepared to pay.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Before pointing the finger at a seller, please keep in mind though shill bidding does occur (and I certainly don’t condone it) there are just as many ebay users that are happy to bid away and not pay or go through with the purchase of an item when they win. In such cases the seller has basically no recourse but to offer second chance offers to try and sell their item.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply