Postal cost under the GSP

I have bought 100's of vintage enamel Automobilia signs most of which come from the U.S via the Global Shipping program ie GSP. A typical size would be 15 X 30 inches (weight 1 to 2 kg max.) where postal cost to Australia is typically in the range of US$30 to $50. Some U.S sellers list items which show that postal range in their listing but when you go to 'BUY' the GSP postal amount is shown at say US$220 being FIVE times the originally indicated amount. Two eBay sellers seemed to be unaware of this extraordinary change and now know why they don't receive any overseas orders.

When I buy signs from sellers who don't use the GSP the postage (USPS) is in the range of say US$45 to $65 withy FedX say $65 to $80 but in either case nowhere near US$220.

Something is clearly wrong here.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Postal cost under the GSP

@johnd911 wrote:

Something is clearly wrong here.

That will happen if those sellers aren't inputting the dimensions and weight of the parcel into the listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you - however other eBay sellers of similar signs (approx. same dim./weight) who ship (post/courier) through the GSP routinely do so in the range of $30 to $50.  Strangely, a couple of other eBay sellers are themselves bewildered by the fact that their initially indicated postage ($30 to $50 range) suddenly 'Jumps' to $220 when the intending purchaser clicks on 'Buy'. They say they have no idea as to why that happens and are not happy about it as it thwarts overseas sales.

I know from long experience that $30 to $50 is about right for GSP shipping for a sign of the size/weight previously mentioned as its a little under what USPS (Mail) or FedX-Courier would charge and have commonly charged - never anything approaching $220.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Sellers in the US do not set the price for GSP. They only set the price for the local shipping component - i.e., shipping cost for a local buyer, or shipping cost from them to PB warehouse.

Based on the information entered by the seller in the listing, PB automatically calculates the international shipping charge which is charged by them to get the item from their warehouse to you. If the seller doesn’t enter the correct information and a far-too-high international shipping fee is automatically calculated, PB do not correct the charge based on what it actually costs. They do not refund you the difference. They do nothing and don’t even know anything about it; it’s all automatic. Win-win for PB; they keep the money if you go ahead and pay that amount.

That is what padi explained. The seller must enter the correct dimensions and weight in order for the GSP cost to be automatically generated based on that information; otherwise the calculated GSP cost is generated in the absence of that information - hence, ridiculously high fee.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

As Padi and the Countess have already said, the seller must put in the weight and parcel dimensions to get a more accurate postage cost. I have sent sellers a message, explaining the high cost of the shipping and ask if they could add the weight and dimensions to their listing. Only one has said no (theirs was showing $250 for a pair of earrings).

I have never asked a seller to change their method of shipping, because for those that opt to use the GSP, they like the seller protections that they get should something go pear shaped, especially for international orders. I don't want to take that away from them.

There was one particular item, I can't remember what it was now as it's quite a few years ago, but shipping was showing at well over $200. With USPS, it was around $25. It was light enough to go first class international (I don't think the signs would be able to go first class). The seller gladly entered the details and the shipping went down to $29. Happy seller, happy buyer! They didn't realise the huge costs involved and updated all their listings adding the details. I ended up buy quite a number of things from them and it turns out, their international sales increased 10 fold.

Ask your seller. The worst they can do is say no. 

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Thank you to all for making it absolutely clear.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Just my experience on GSP.

I have passed on no-end of buys due to GSP prices from the US and UK, and actually I kind of transitioned to mainly buying from Germany and Japan because of shipping. I can't be bothered even looking at UK/US stuff now and constantly finding things I'd buy except for an insane GSP cost. One example today quoted me this for a pack which would be likely under 250 grams and flat:

GBP 44.09 (approx. AU $80.08) Express Postage to South Korea via eBay's Global Shipping Program

it's nuts. That was on a 25 pound item.

Second part is the odd times when I have bought with GSP it has taken over a month every time both to Australia and to Korea (from US/UK). The tracking is not good. They partner with a local partner in Korea which has bad tracking and doesn't take care with delivery. So for a high price I get a lame service ... if it was a top rate service I might be be ok to use it now and then. 

I can see the advantage from a seller's view, but as a buyer it's a huge turn-off IMO.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Have you sent a message to a seller and asked them to insert the weight and dimensions into their listing? It really makes a huge difference. 

I generally write something along the lines of:

Hi there, I am really interested in this item, but noticed you are posting using Global Shipping. I'm not asking you to change the way you post, because I understand the protections it provides to you, but the GSP pricing has a mind of its own. Often it inserts the most ridiculous prices, this item being a cost of $XXX.XX. I'm wondering if you could edit your listing to include the weight and the dimensions of the item? Doing that will make the cost a lot more comparable (an affordable) to other methods of shipping. 

Thank you,

<my name>

As I said in my previous post, there has only been one seller that said no. Most don't know the high cost that has been inserted into their listing for international buyers, so are willing to help make it more affordable. It means a sale for them!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply