Purchased "High quality" phone case, which damaged the back of my phone.

I purchased a phone case just over a month ago and I attempted to remove the case to wipe down the phone about a week ago when I noticed the matte black chipped off around the back of the bezel. I have no doubt the seller will refund my money but what about the damages on my phone? It more bothers me they sell this product to customers but don't have any repercussions for a faulty product damaging customers property. 

Note: I purchased the phone brand new (Google Pixel 4xl 128gb). The phone case was 20$ 

Google Pixel 4 XL/4 Case Genuine SPIGEN Ultra Thin Fit Slim-Grip Hard Cover 【ULTRA SLIM】 【EXACT-FIT】 【LIGHTWEIGHT】 off RRP $ 29.99 (copied from listing)

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

How do you know the seller will refund you the cost of the phone cover? especially as it over a month ago

Did you buy a GENUINE product from an authorised seller/re-seller with a real warranty ?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

All you can hope for is to get a refund for the case.

How often have you had a refund from a B&M store and they have repaired any damage done by the faulty item?  I would suggest...never.

Perhaps if a store sold you the two items together they might replace your phone as a goodwill gesture but not if it was your decision to buy the case as an accessory from a different store/seller.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

As per eBay terms and condition. The item does not do as described in addition to clearly been faulty. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Ok, no worries. This was my original thought but I figured I would put the question out there to see if another person had similar experiences with my situation. Thanks for the response.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Re 'As per eBay t&c' which refers to when the item was recieved , not after having been used for over a month

Plus,  as it is over a month since purchased, it is too late for eBay to do anything anyway 

I can only assume the lack of response to the question means it was not a genuine product and was not from an authorised seller 

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

As an Australian consumer, you have a legal right to return items purchased from a business and to receive a repair, replacement or refund if the items:

• Are faulty or develop a fault within a reasonable period of time after purchase
  • Aren't fit for purpose (i.e. they don't do what the seller said they would do)
  • Don't match the seller's description or sample
  • Are of unacceptable quality; or
  • Fail to meet other mandatory consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law.

It's deemed reasonable up to 3 months as stated by the ACCC. It isn't like I had the case for a year or two and now am unhappy with it. 

I went with a case that was at the upper end of cost for the quality reason. In addition, the seller has well over 300,000 sales and has sold almost 500 of this specific case. I would deem them as a legit seller. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@shannon10080 wrote:

In addition, the seller has well over 300,000 sales and has sold almost 500 of this specific case. I would deem them as a legit seller. 

When you look at the feedback for that seller, where are they registered ?  What is their feedback percentage ?

Regarding percentage, most responders here do not recommend dealing with high-volume sellers with a less than 99.5% rating.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@shannon10080 wrote:

As an Australian consumer, you have a legal right to return items purchased from a business and to receive a repair, replacement or refund if the items:

• Are faulty or develop a fault within a reasonable period of time after purchase
  • Aren't fit for purpose (i.e. they don't do what the seller said they would do)
  • Don't match the seller's description or sample
  • Are of unacceptable quality; or
  • Fail to meet other mandatory consumer guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law.

It's deemed reasonable up to 3 months as stated by the ACCC. It isn't like I had the case for a year or two and now am unhappy with it. 

I went with a case that was at the upper end of cost for the quality reason. In addition, the seller has well over 300,000 sales and has sold almost 500 of this specific case. I would deem them as a legit seller. 

Figures like that tend to indicate that the seller is registered in China so Australian Consumer Law does not apply anyway.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply