Question on returns

soxy74
Community Member

Hi. I have not had many return so just looking for some advice.

I purchased a brand new cd from a 5000+ feedback seller with very good feedback.

It has arrived with no packaging/seal as in it has been opened. The disc has a very very slight mark but otherwise looks new.

I might normally let this slide but was going to give this as a gift and do not want to giveva used looking present.

The seller advised to return it in the envelope they sent it in, marked return to sender and they will refund me in full.

My questions are as follows:

1. It is my understanding that marking return to sender on an open parcel is not allowed/illegal even?

2. I believe using this method leaves me with zero chance of protection and possibly not receiving my refund?

3. What is the best way for me to fix this?

4. Am I correct in understanding a brand new item like a cd must be in its packaging?

Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Question on returns

Just to answer your questions... 

1. You are correct, only unopened packages should be marked RTS. 

2. Again, correct - you need to supply proof of postage to be able to qualify for protection, and you can only get that by paying for a new package (also note, if you return a package before instructed to do so by PayPal, you don't qualify for PayPal buyer protection. Not sure if it's the same on eBay - I've never seen a policy expressing that, though).

3. I think there's a difference between 'best' and 'safest' sometimes (only sometimes ๐Ÿ˜„ ). The first thing I would do is contact the seller and explain your concerns. It seems like they're trying to help but in a way that minimises cost, so at the expense of your protection. 

4. Not sure what you count as packaging, but many brand new CDs in Aus don't come sealed in plastic. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Thank you for your answer. Your number 4 point is what I most wanted to hear. I had ASSUMED it should be wrapped but this is obviously not the case so thanks for confirming that.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Digi is right in that not all CDs have a plastic wrap from new.

I have bought CDs and DVDs which were sealed, but where the definitely-new discs then had marks or scratches. So it happens. Understand not wanting to give as a gift. If it's rare I'd keep it, if you send it back you should return in a way that protects you if it goes missing in the post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Even if they are shrink wrapped many sellers will open them so they can put something in the case to stop the disk from moving which can happen in the post.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply