Received a parcel I didn't order

Received a face mask from China via a NSW address which I did not order.  Should I change my password etc.  From what I can gather online this process is known as "brushing" where your details are used to give a false recommendation when the parcel is received.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Well it could'nt hurt to change your passwords, put it that way

It is recommended people change their passwords on websites  every once in a while anyway

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Was there any indication that this was something from Ebay, or perhaps Amazon instead? Or was it anonymous and you assumed it was via Ebay?

There's an Amazon situation going around where some stores send random cheap stuff to people in what is called a "brushing" scam. It then allows them to create a positive fake review in YOUR name which bolsters sales.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@marianned666,

I suggest you read this article on the ABC News site, concerning brushing.

Spoiler

How did they get my personal information?

Every time you use an online service where you enter your personal details to create an account, you are vulnerable to attacks or data breaches.

Think about all the social media platforms or shopping websites you have signed up to. They add up fast.

Data breaches may be accidental, but in other cases they can be deliberate, where criminals target a company to steal data.

Once that data is out there, online criminals can collect it and sell it to others, particularly on the dark web.

In the case of brushing, criminals sell your personal details to these third-party retailers, who then send you the packages.

"Nefarious individuals will use those details they acquired and set up fake profiles on websites," Mr Manuel said.

"You are a legitimate person with an address who received the product.

"But the person writing the review is someone who has stolen your identity and created a fake account."

Your data may have also been stolen through document theft, the hacking of your personal devices, or through phishing, when a scammer fools you into handing over your personal information.

Was this sent as an eBay purchase? Or Amazon? I very strongly suggest that you immediately contact the third-party company if you know who that is - and if not, contact both Amazon AND eBay, inform them of the details (seller name in particular), explain that you have been sent an unsolicited item with your name and address used without your permission, that there is almost certainly another eBay/Amazon account set up by the seller with your name and address specified, and that the seller is therefore engaged in what's known as the 'brushing' scam.

If this is through eBay, then report the seller to eBay.

Report an issue with a seller

You haven't received your item
  You'd like to return your item
  The seller isn't responding to you, or you need to ask eBay to step in and help
  You want to cancel a purchase
🔘   The seller has violated one of eBay's policies   ⬅ This is the option to select.

Click continue, then on the next page complete the details:

Tell us what happened
  Seller offered to sell a listed item outside of eBay
  Seller doesn't want to complete the sale
  Seller sent threatening or abusive messages
  Seller published another member's contact information
  Seller's contact information is not correct
🔘   Other   ⬅ This is the option to select.

Additional details:

Seller has sent me an unsolicited cheap item, using my name and address without my permission. This is a misuse of my contact information. It is known as the 'brushing' scam, where the seller must have set up an account using my contact information, in order to write a glowing review for themselves and thus boost their online presence on eBay. The seller is a risk to eBay, as they are misrepresenting themselves as a trustworthy seller by giving themselves feedback using such false accounts.

Please investigate, and I hope the seller is dealt with.

I will say in advance that this might not result in any action being taken, but it's at least worth trying.

That's not the worst of your situation, though. If your name and address are being misused, it's possible that additional personal information has also been stolen and may be being misused by criminals. You may want to report this. As stated on the ABC article to which I referred you:

❝If you think a scammer has your account details, passport, tax file number, licence, Medicare number or other personal identification details, the ACCC says to contact your bank, financial institution, or other relevant agencies.❞

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply