Received item I did not buy!

Hello,

I am in Sydney.

Today I received a parcel of items I did not buy. The parcel came from China.

There is nothing in the package except some heart-shaped crystals.

There is a sender sticker on the parcel. It says the sender's name is <removed for privacy>. (Yes, for real!)

I thought maybe I had been sent incorrect items from a seller I'd ordered from. But this is not the case. I checked, and none of the sellers have this name.

What should I do about this?! is it a scam?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Received item I did not buy!

go-tazz
Community Member

@tomjoolery wrote:

Hello,

I am in Sydney.

Today I received a parcel of items I did not buy. The parcel came from China.

There is nothing in the package except some heart-shaped crystals.

There is a sender sticker on the parcel. It says the sender's name is <Removed for privacy>. (Yes, for real!)

I thought maybe I had been sent incorrect items from a seller I'd ordered from. But this is not the case. I checked, and none of the sellers have this name.

What should I do about this?! is it a scam?

If you didn't order them,then yes it could be.

Different types of "Crystals" are/can be used in the manufacturing of illegal substances.

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

well then, I guess the next question is, do you like what you got? LOL

Now, this might be the alarmist in me, and maybe I like Criminal Law more than most, but, in the back of my mind, is this maybe a test run to see if future packages will be received? sort of testing the waters kinda thing?

As a precaution, I am wondering if a visit to the police station is in order, just so that something is on record.

Is it possible the crystals themselves have some kind of value and the real intended recipient will "be along later to collect them" sort of thing?

It's happened in the past to see whether they can get items past customs.

I'd say a check with the police should be on the agenda,(after all,you where sent something that you did not

request).

At least phone them to ask their opinion,ok.gif

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Lols snookie,Yes i ordered it when i was bored,nice item that arrived in about 14 days so i was happy with the funny name person.Dunno bout your parcel if it had your name on it.My kids order stuff & don't tell me about it.Just enjoy your pretty mystery bead things i guess.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

most of them have their real names on the packages rather than their ebay ID.

More often than not, I have found the package has the name of the staff member who lodges the parcel, rather than anything else that could identify the specific seller or business name, although a lot of the time there will be a packaging slip with an eBay item number (if it was a purchase), or a business card advertising their off-eBay website. 

I once received a package of copper tone headpins, which I never ordered, and there was nothing to identify the seller on or in the parcel (sometimes I can identify them by the UPC or SKU sticker on the package, but there was no identifying details at all). Everything else I ordered at the time arrived, so I just presumed an error was made somewhere at a company I'd bought from previously and my address details were attached to someone else's purchase.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

If you do a Google search of the name <removed> it seems to be a manufacturer/wholesaler.  At a guess I would say one of your sellers has bought from them and the wrong items have been sent to you.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

It seems more likely to me that it's a glitch rather than a crime. The items are similar to other stuff I buy on eBay; I just didn't buy this particular stuff! 

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

If it is a China (HK, Schenzen, Ningbo) based company - it could simply be the case of a 'letter drop' similar to the tyoe that regular company's in Oz do, only this is the Chinese equivalent.

Most factories/manufacturers in HK share/click/ information from customers (not high volume clients, but single purchase) and it becomes a part of a standard IML.

Because they can post so cheaply to Oz, they use these lists as 'drop mails' and send sample products this way. You may in the near future receive an email asking you if you received said product etc etc.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply