Received wrong item, what do I do now?

grivia
Community Member

I bought an item on eBay. I promptly paid and waited 10 days for it to arrive from the UK. It was the wrong item, and it was from the UK. It was the only item I was expecting.

Upon notifying the seller and sending an image of the parcel, they apoligised and admitted it was their item. They've asked me to send it back. I paid $5 for postage, but in Australia it will cost around $30 to send it back. Upon letting the seller know this, all of a sudden they started being evasive and denied the item was theirs. I should also include that they sell this exact item that I wrongly received.

There are two important things to note here. The first being that the incorrect item is worth $20 more than the one I paid for. If I was out to scam them I'd have just kept it and not said anything.

The second is that if they don't want to claim ownership of the item, am I then not entitled to keep it and open a dispute because my original item did not arrive?

My biggest issue is that I do not want to spend $30 of my own money sending an item back, for them to refuse it was theirs and be left with nothing.

This is really annoying, mostly because this is the 3rd issue I've have with international sellers in the last few weeks. I feel like no matter what I do I'm going to be ruled against because of their mistake.

Thanks

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Naturally it sounds as though they made an error.

You can open a Item not as Described case, but you will be expected to return registered post to receive a refund.

So maybe not worth it.

Are you able to use this dearer one in substitute?

If not maybe sell this one yourself on ebay and look for the one you want from a local seller.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

grivia
Community Member

Like I said, they originally admitted it and apologized  and I still have it as a message in my inbox.

It's really just the principle of it, and they're the only ones who had the item I wanted at a decent price

More than anything, it annoys me how they lie and try to back away from something once confronted with the associated costs for their mistake.

I am quite happy to return it, but not if I have to pay for postage. That seems insane to me, and after they'd lost $30, I highly doubt they would claim ownership of the item, even though they'd then keep it.

😞

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

If they won't help, you will need to pay return registered postage for a claim if you paid via PayPal.

Understand the principle and it's annoying, but if they stoop to lying, how are they going to be continuing dealings with them?

I would probably come up with my own solution and leave appropriate feedback if you haven't yet. 😉

image host
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

grivia
Community Member

I just called PayPal and asked them about it (with a dispute open). They refunded me the money on the spot and I get to keep the item, with no help from the seller of course.

😄

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

You would have had a right to open an item not received dispute, as soon as they denied what you said they sent you wasnt theirs.

Then that means that what they sent you never arrived. I would keep correspondence though, just incase they decide they will report you for internet fraud by saying an item never arrived.

And if someone does turn up oneday saying they are investigating internet fraud, show them the email that shows they insist the item wasnt sent from them.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

If they said they did not send it then you should assume it is surprise present from secret admirer.  Why would you be paying $30 to send it to somebody who denies it is theirs?  🙂

I am glad you got your refund.  I would not be leaving them any FB  ]:)

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Not sure if Oz post still do it, I once sent a box of books back to a book club that wouldn't stop sending them out, I sent them via registered mail, collect ]:)

They stopped sending after that:^O

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

I am so pleased you posted here to report that Paypal did the right thing, too many people think that nobody can win anything but a straightforward dispute but Paypal do actually get it right more often then not.

As soon as the seller said they had not sent the item you were actually in the position of claiming non receipt and as the buyer only paid so little for the postage it would not have tracking that would cover them for either a Paypal or ebay dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

I paid for 8 pieces Bendix brake pads but they sent me disc rotary.Then I emailed wrong item didn't respond.Reported eBay .Then 30 minutes after eBay emailed case closed.What I do now?
Message 10 of 18
Latest reply