Recieved iphone case, some scratches but don't want to return. Chance for discount?

pluu369
Community Member

Hello,

I have just recieved an iPhone 6s Plus case I ordered. After I put on phone I noticed 2 scratches on the bottom of the case like someone tried to pray the bumper off the rubber casing. I tried to replicate the scratches incase I had done them from handling it but no, not from me.

I don't want to return the case because I don't want the trouble to return a cheap item and I noticed when I bought the item the listing for that color was out of stock so I probably bought the last one meaning no replacement of same color if I did return. Also I really like the case and could live with the case as is with the scratches just dissapointed.

Is there a chance I can open a case and get a partial refund without sending the item back or do I have no chance and just live with it? How to go about this?

I was thinking I would just give them 4 stars and write about it in comments.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Recieved iphone case, some scratches but don't want to return. Chance for discount?

Before you open a case, take a photo of the scratches and use the contact link to email the seller and see what their reply is, use "other" in the contact link.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Was the price dirt-cheap?

Did it come from China?

If this was a new case and the scratches weren't described in the listing, then nevertheless, irrespective of what you paid, you do of course have the right to receive the item sans scratches, in the condition described. If it's significantly not as described, you are protected under the eBay Money Back Guarantee, so you would notify the seller that it's arrived scratched, and it's then up to the seller to decide if they want you to return the item for a full refund.

They may opt to offer you a discount, but it is the seller's choice. It's up to  you whether you want to suggest a partial refund; I probably wouldn't myself. I don't for an instant suggest that it's the case re your situation, but some buyers do contact sellers with discount requests based on invented quibbles, and it can cause sellers to be wary in their dealings with buyers who mention that an item is damaged but they'd still like to keep it. That's just something to keep in mind.

I always buy my iPhone and iPad cases (and Apple Watch straps) from Piel Frama. Everything they have sent me has been in perfect condition, and has been exquisitely beautiful, crafted of the finest quality calfskin, etc. There are a number of other fine makers around, all with their own "touch" and look (SF Bags, Maxwell Scott, and of course Apple themselves), but of course many people buy more generic cases or whimsical cases or rare cases etc. Is the case that you purchased available from other sellers as well? Perhaps they might have the case you want in the colour that you want...?

Anyway, first step should be to contact the seller and explain that there are those two scratches; make sure you have a few photos which show the damage, so that you can send them to the seller - and see what the seller suggests.

EDIT: Padi beat me to it.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Are you allowed to name and fame countess lol.

And going by OPs feedback it's an Aussie seller.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

So i've sent this message:

Hello,

I have received the case. After I fit on my phone I noticed 3 scratches on the bottom of the case. I thought it was from me handling the case so I tried to recreate the scratches myself with my fingers. I could not so the scratches must have been there before me receiving.

Is this used item?

And got this reply:

Hi, these are not used items and package has been sealed.
We can send you a replacement but gold color has been sold out. 
We still have white and yellow in stock. Can you please advise us if you would like to take another color?

Looks like they willing to send me another case without sending mine back which seems they knew about the scratches in the first place???

Anyway as suspected the same color out of stock but the other colors offered I am not interested in. I should not be able to counter offer him to give me a discount? and if so I make the price offer or they do?

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

By the way price was $5.95 and shipping $6.95.......

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Not sure if they new about the scratches.

It's good customer service that if there is a problem then they want to fix it by offering you another cover.

Have you asked them for a discount because you want to keep the one you've got?

If it was me I'd take another colour as it's for free and you still get to keep the gold one also.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Was the case sealed?

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

If you want to keep the damaged one ask if they will give you a discount. Just don't expect too much on a $6 item and work with the seller as they where kind enough to offer a replacement. Also if it was the last one and they mentioned it was scratched would you still have purchased at that price.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Post 5 says it was sealed,I've purchased a few in my time and they come sealed.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply