Recieved iphone case, some scratches but don't want to return. Chance for discount?

pluu369
Community Member

Hello,

I have just recieved an iPhone 6s Plus case I ordered. After I put on phone I noticed 2 scratches on the bottom of the case like someone tried to pray the bumper off the rubber casing. I tried to replicate the scratches incase I had done them from handling it but no, not from me.

I don't want to return the case because I don't want the trouble to return a cheap item and I noticed when I bought the item the listing for that color was out of stock so I probably bought the last one meaning no replacement of same color if I did return. Also I really like the case and could live with the case as is with the scratches just dissapointed.

Is there a chance I can open a case and get a partial refund without sending the item back or do I have no chance and just live with it? How to go about this?

I was thinking I would just give them 4 stars and write about it in comments.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Recieved iphone case, some scratches but don't want to return. Chance for discount?

@collect247 wrote:

Post 5 says it was sealed,I've purchased a few in my time and they come sealed.

That post said the seller claimed it was sealed, not that the OP received a sealed case. Which is what prompted my question. It is always handy, even when it's like pulling teeth, to get as much information as possible before passing judgement or providing possibly spurious answers.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

That reply does not necessarily (to me) indicate the seller knew there was anything wrong with the case at all. Quite the opposite.  And the reply certainly doesn't indicate it was a used item. I think the seller suspects you did the damage yourself. But he has to give you the benefit of the doubt as it could possibly have been slightly scratched at the manufaturing stage, I suppose.

The reply backs up pretty much what you already told us-that the colour you wanted had sold out.

I would not also assume they won't want the gold one back. It is possible they won't if the postage is dearer than the article, but they may do, if you ask for a replacement. 

I think sellers of small items like this might make these replacement offers, not because of any knowledge of guilt, but because they feel they are probably going to have to anyway if you go to open a case with ebay, so it is just how they deal with the inevitable.

The seller indicated the cases are sent sealed. I presume in something like a shrink proof or cellophane wrapping of some kind.

I can't see any reason to suppose yours was any different as you haven't described damage to the postage parcel and it seems you did not notice the scratches immediately on opening, only later, as you asked yourself if you could have made those scratches.

So.. I am wondering how bad those scratches are. It sounds as if they may be quite minor. It could be small accidental scratches from when it was manufactured or packaged or even unknowingly from when you opened it. With cheap cases, it possibly doesn't take much to cause a slight scratch.

If you aren't interested in the yellow or white ones, you could message the seller and say thankyou for the replacement offer, that was very generous and you would have taken it up if they had had another gold, as that is the colour you prefer. Just ask then if it would be possible to have a slight discount instead as you would rather keep the gold. I think the seller, if it means he won't have to fork out for a new case plus postage, might come to the party.

I do think though it should be his place to suggest the discount amount and I think you should say 'slight discount', because it doesn't sound to me as if the damage to the case is all that major or noticeable. If you tell him what discount you want, I think that would come over as pushy.

Just keep in mind that if you ask for any discount, the odds are you may get it, but the seller may also place you on their blocked list, especially if they suspect you are claiming for damage you probably did yourself. I am not saying you DID do the damage, only that the seller might believe you did. You may never be able to buy from them again. 
That may not be a problem, there are probably plenty of sellers around who sell similar things. But be aware.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

So are you calling the seller a liar? because I believe the seller and I think OP is being a bit dramatic about the whole thing.

Seller offered a new case, ok so it isn't the right colour who cares seriously just take it.

Cheap item also so no need to go overboard lol.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I'm not calling anybody a liar.

I was simply asking for more information, rather than reading things that aren't there.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Ok heres any update.

I really liked to keep the case because the other colors I looked on google image to see what they looked like (Spigen Neo Hybrid for 6s Plus in White and Yellow) and to me they looked horrible i'd never put them on my phone even if I had for free.

The scratches were not noticable from far away since it was scratches on black rubber but if I were holding in my hand you would see them eventually.

So I asked seller for refund and he/she offered $2 then I countered with 50% of my total purchasing price (item+postage) of $6 and they accepted suprisingly. I was happy with that and when I got my refund gave them 4 star (item quality, rest 5 star) feedback.

Thanks for the help everyone. If I knew I could ask for discounts other than forced to refund I would of did this to a few past products I bought on ebay... 😞

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

If I knew I could ask for discounts other than forced to refund I would of did this to a few past products I bought on ebay.

That statement would be of concern to many sellers here and could well see your purchasing options restricted to sellers who don't read the boards.

It also indicates that you are either nitpicky or buying Holdens and expecting Rolls Royces.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Bazinga!!!!!!

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Yep, very good to know

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

@pluu369 wrote:

Ok heres any update.

I really liked to keep the case because the other colors I looked on google image to see what they looked like (Spigen Neo Hybrid for 6s Plus in White and Yellow) and to me they looked horrible i'd never put them on my phone even if I had for free.

The scratches were not noticable from far away since it was scratches on black rubber but if I were holding in my hand you would see them eventually.

So I asked seller for refund and he/she offered $2 then I countered with 50% of my total purchasing price (item+postage) of $6 and they accepted suprisingly. I was happy with that and when I got my refund gave them 4 star (item quality, rest 5 star) feedback.

Thanks for the help everyone. If I knew I could ask for discounts other than forced to refund I would of did this to a few past products I bought on ebay... 😞

A partial refund on an item that is not as good as described can be a great option for the seller and a not-so-bad one for the buyer.

I purchased a 45 record from overseas earlier this year and nowhere near the description the seller advertised it in. Adv as Ex but scratches that make it too noisy and sadly they're on the beginning of the track. With vinyl, shiney on ¾ but muotiple sratches on a ¼ don't make it shiney all over!! I got a $3 a small-partial refund but I'm still out of pocket though. Excluding postage costs,I'll never get my money back. Smiley Frustrated  But it just wasn't worth the hassle of repacking and sending and then waiting for ther refund. That just lightened my pain a bit.

This is a process that one must have total honesty in. I have no reason to doubt your genuine concerns. You are 100% entitled to get what you see as advertised. We must always have a sit back and think about our judgement on an item. Sometimes a second opinion from another party helps.  Man Wink

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Depends on which Holden you might be referring to as I would prefer a few Holdens over a Rolls Royce.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply