Refund failed

seu1rene
Community Member

I accidentally placed an order for an item from a seller, but the payment already went through and I couldn’t cancel, so I asked the seller to cancel for a refund instead, they did so and I waited for eBay’s response. When eBay finally responded, they said that the refund failed due to an ‘issue’. 

What do I do? The seller has been unresponsive, and I need the money back.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Refund failed

You can’t ‘accidentally’ buy something

You can’t cancel as the buyer, only the seller can

The seller is not obligated to refund or cancel

What can  you do?

Don't buy stuff and then change your mind

and

Learn how the site works

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

I don't quite understand.

You say that you asked the seller to cancel for a refund and that they did so, but then you say that the seller has been unresponsive. Do you mean unresponsive after eBay said there was an issue?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

They weren’t responding to my inquiries but they were reading my messages. Right now, I’m still waiting for a single response from them.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

Are you contacting them via ebay  messages, if so the messages are routed via ebay and you only see an alias address, so you have no idea if they have read your messages.  If you are somehow messaging outside of ebay, then the seller would be best not to reply,

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

@seu1rene wrote:

They weren’t responding to my inquiries but they were reading my messages. Right now, I’m still waiting for a single response from them.

How do you know they have being reading your message,  not possible!!

Also please explain for us un educated people how you ''accidentally'' buy something.  

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

@sugar249 wrote:

@seu1rene wrote:

How do you know they have being reading your message,  not possible!!

Also please explain for us un educated people how you ''accidentally'' buy something.  

I've been told that you accidentally hit the buy it now button. Then you accidentally hit the confirm button. Then you accidentally hit the pay now button. Then you accidentally insert your payment details. Then you accidentally hit the confirm button. See? All accidental. Did you not get past second class to know that? 😄

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

I think we're not meant to know that

But we are suppose to think it's possible to know that someone has read messages 

Party lists, anyone? 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

You look fairly new to ebay.  Something you need to know is that cancelling after you buy is not necessarily optional, as I think you believe it to be. It works very much like other online buying sites in that once you commit to buy and have paid, your order is in. That's it. 

I am pretty sure if you accidentally buy something from Myer or Kathmandu or some other place, you'll find you can't necessarily ask for money back. You may sometimes be able to change an order slightly, but even that is not possible on some sites.

So in future, be very sure you want to go ahead with a purchase before you buy and pay for something.

I am not sure about your message "refund failed due to an issue'. Was that message actually from ebay or from the seller?

As far as I know, the seller can no longer tell how you paid for your ebay item. They can't directly refund you to paypal or your bank. It goes through ebay. If that message seems to be from ebay, then maybe contact ebay online chat. They could at least clear up the issue of whether the sale has been cancelled or not.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Refund failed

Yes sorry that must be the session I slept through.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply