Refund for failed voucher - still waiting nearly 3 months

I made a purchse using a voucher  ("CGIFT20") on November 9. I got a number of errors on my laptop during the purchase, so attempted on my phone. I got some errors on my phone too, but persisted. The purchase finally went through but my PayPal and credit card was debited the full amount (no discount applied). So I quickly sent a message to the vendor to ask to cancel the order or refund the 20%. I got a response saying they had spoken to ebay and ebay said the were aware of the problems and to call the 1800 number.

I did that on November 11 and the phone support staff member was very re-assuring that he would raise a refund request and dont cancel the order, I would be refunded the 20% without a doubt. The refund would be 10-15 days.

The refund never came. I called again in 10 days to check. I was then told 10-15 business days, and to call again if it didnt come then. Ok, no problem.

After 16 business days I called again and was told it was a busy time and it could be another 5 or 10 business days, but dont worry,I definately would be getting the refund. I was told the matter is with the marketing team and the staff member would contact them to get me some details. I didnt get any further details.

A week later I called again and was told by the operator they are not sure what is happening but I will get the refund.  Again I was told the matter is with the marketing team and the staff member would contact them to get me some details. Again I didnt get any follow up response. I called weekly after that to the same response of "not sure", and cant get a response from Marketing.

I've dropped frequency of may calls to ebay back to monthly now, but I have little hope. I should have just pushed the vendor to cancel the order, and waited for another bargain to pop up.

Here we are on the 2nd Feb and still no sign of a refund. Anyone have any idea how long this process can take?

Is there actually a chance I'll get my refund?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Refund for failed voucher - still waiting nearly 3 months

Good idea. I've seen that work with a retailer or two.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 11 of 25
Latest reply

I think whoever looks after the page are in Australia too, which I think makes a difference. They can understand what you're talking about!!

Message 12 of 25
Latest reply

Cool, thanks. I'll try the FB thing.

I know it was a bit of a ramble so easy to miss some details. 

As already noted - I didnt realise at first the discount was from ebay direct, but the seller sorted that, so I have been dealing with ebay to get the refund.

I didnt get the initial apoproval in writing but I got an email response from a subsequent call to the call centre on 26th Nov (as I was getting toey and wanted somethign in writing). This is it:

------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Brett,

This is Den from eBay Customer Service, this is regarding the call earlier with regards to the voucher escalation that the previous representative escalated.

I have further investigated on your case and I can see here that this was escalated last 11th of November. I have spoken to the promotions team and they have told me that it still being processed and it should take 10 to 15 business days for the amount to reflect on your PayPal account.

If you will not receive the discounted amount on the 2nd of December being the 15th day since the escalation, please contact us again so that we can assist you further. The reason why it would take 10 to 15 business days is because our promotions team are having a high volume of requests and they process credits by batches. We are really sorry for the inconvenience but I assure you, you will receive your credit.

Thanks for choosing eBay, and thank you so much for understanding.

eBay Customer Service.

----------------------------------------------------------

Seems pretty clear cut to me!

Message 13 of 25
Latest reply

Yep. You were definitely promised it. Can't believe it is taking so long! Good luck with FB, if no good try the ombudsman. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 14 of 25
Latest reply

Please come back and let us know how you go. I know there have been others in the same boat, so knowing the eventual outcome of your case could be useful to others.

Good luck!

Message 15 of 25
Latest reply

So I posted on the ebay.com.au facebook page and got a response within a few hours, asking for PM of my ebay details. Suppllied that and within a few more hours got a confirmation that yes the credit request was sent to the marketing and promotions team and I was assured I would get the refund. All good so far. It seems to be just a waiting game now...

Message 16 of 25
Latest reply

Keep on top of it though. Make contact with them again if you see nothing in 7days.
Message 17 of 25
Latest reply

So now its 28 MARCH 2016, another 6 or 7 weeks has passed. Still no refund. 

Message 18 of 25
Latest reply

Contact FOS

Message 19 of 25
Latest reply

Draft a letter, which can be sent by email or by post. The title needs to state 'Letter of Demand'.

In the letter state the date of the transaction, the reason for the demand (ie promotion), the amount you are requesting, your eBay and PayPal accounts, and that you require payment within 21 days otherwise you will make an application to the local courts, which will incur a lodgement fee of $95, and which they will be liable to pay, as well as any court costs that are awarded against them.

Try to send this letter or email to the Australian arm of eBay if you can, as they will understand the seriousness of a letter of demand.

In my experience it has never failed me to receive payment from a business when they know they are liable to pay the money.
Message 20 of 25
Latest reply