Reporting a bad seller

i got a item from this seller REMOVED in November 2020 in the first week of having the item it shut down and i can never turn it back on its a dash cam so i messaged the seller right away he he reply back to me and said he would refund me my money ok cool well waited a week for the refund no show so i sent another message his reply sorry but we had trouble in refunding you i will replace the item ok cool so after that i waited 2 to 3 weeks no replacement item i sent a message back to him where is my replacement item from then all i get from this seller is the same message over and over and over to this day August 2021 i have contacted eBay for help with this seller they say i am not in my 30 day money back guarantee which i am i have a ref number so now its got to the stage where now i am seeking legal advice i will take both part`s   to court   HERE IS THE MESSAGE  I GET FROM  THE SELLER  

Dear customer,
Hello, I’m sorry to have caused you trouble. Please don’t worry that we will definitely help you properly handle it. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Have a nice day!

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Reporting a bad seller

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear of your issue. It does indeed sound like this seller has strung you along until the 2 month TTLFB (Time to leave feed back), Ebay claim and 180 PayPal dispute options have expired. Well 10 months later he/she is still stringing you along.

Could I ask please where the seller is located?

Is this seller who you left a negative for ?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

I can see that you definitely contacted the seller within that 30 day time frame and you probably feel that that started the process, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that on ebay.

Just contacting the seller is a private arrangement between the 2 of you. If you have a problem and it is not solved very soon after receiving an item, you must apply to ebay then and open a claim. It might be for an item not as described. But until you open that, ebay won't know about your problem and can't step in.

You then need to watch the claim and finalise it a few days later.

From that point of view, you are way over the 30 day limit to make an ebay claim and also, very unfortunately, outside the 180 days to open a paypal claim.

It doesn't matter what a seller says or promises. All that matters are results.

So when this seller let it go a week without refunding and then claimed there was a problem, that was your cue to step in and open an ebay claim, right there and then. Think about it. The seller never got back to youin that week to say he was having a problem, did he? Nope, he let it go till you got in touch again. And only then he offered to replace it.  If he was going to do that, he could have done it immediately he found he had a so called problem refunding and let you know.

Always say no to a replacement when time is getting away, always insist on money back. Some sellers can try to delay you until time runs out and they know you won't be able to make a claim on them.

That's what this seller has done.

I don't know that taking this to court would be worth it as you haven't followed the procedures to get your money back, you have left it too late. If the seller is overseas, it definitely isn't worth the legal hassle. Save the legal fees and buy a new dash cam-a good brand from a reputable shop, not ebay.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

OK,   Chalk it up as a learning experience,  you have 30 days from Ebay, and 180 days from patypal,   you have let them both go past, not sure why but you have,   forget it, and realise you made a huge mistake.

Legal action,   I'm guessing the GPS is worth a couple of hundred dollars,  or maybe even $1500 if its a top of the range GPS.    Well if you go talk to a lawyer,  you will spend that just walking in their door and having a coffee,  then add to that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th coffee with them,  so the dollars are adding up.    If the seller is overseas,  then even if you could take it to court there is no enforcement really.  Forget blowing smoke about legal action,  even if you did decide to spends thousands on legal action, you will end up with minimal back,  its just your lawyer getting rich and you getting poor.

My suggestion,  take as a learning experience, and don't trust a seller and immediately follow the correct process next time.   I say that as a medium volume seller, so not picking on sellers,  but if they don't cough up the refund in a reasonable time, they are not going to cough it up.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

overseas 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

i did do a claim with in my 30 day time i did every thing by the book when it comes to ebay 

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

i am in my 30 days i have a case number but ebay will not help me 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

When you opened your dispute,

did you open the correct one? (item not as described rather than item not received?) 

Did you follow that dispute through within the time limit (ie escalate that the seller did not help?)

Did you open a dispute in eBay and PayPal at the same time?

eBay side with the buyer 99% of the time if the process is followed correctly 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

@coffscrui-28 wrote:

overseas 

China. Guaranteed. Especially reading the message you received. They will string you along as long as they can so you can't open a dispute. 

You say you opened a dispute. Did you follow through with the dispute, or just let it time out? 

You are not within your 30 days, so having a case number is completely useless now. You needed to escalate the dispute when you were able to. From what I've read here, I think it's around 4 days after you open it. Yet it sounds like you kept letting the seller string you along and the dispute timed out.

Chalk it up to experience. There is absolutely nothing you can do now to get a refund or replacement. If you want to go to court, you are going to have to go to China, and with things the way they are at the moment there is zero chance of that happening.

Why did you buy a dashcam from China? There are plenty of really good moderately priced ones in stores here. I got a Uniden dual camera (front and back) from Repco for $120 about 18 months ago. It does an excellent job. Good brands are cheap as chips now. No point buying rubbish from China.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Reporting a bad seller

If any overseas seller has less than 99% positive, I would be vary wary of purchasing from them, especially electronic items.

Since you got the item, you would have needed to open a "Not as Described" case. As the seller is overseas, they only choice they would have had would be to refund you as they could not send a shipping label for a return.

Please don't negotiate back and forth with sellers, especially those who have dozens of negatives - just open a case within the timeframe, get your money back and buy elsewhere (preferably within Australia).

I'm not sure why you say you are within your 30 days if you got the item last year?

The only option you might have is if you funded the whole thing with your credit card (even if you paid via Paypal). You can contact your provider and see if they can help.

Forget legal action - you will never be able to take a Chinese seller to court.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply