Return Fail

Purchased items from China seller Nov 26 2021, arrived Jan 13 2022. Sent items were incorrect, seller accepted return, received msg that seller cannot send return postage envelope, paid for Austpost return, $23.40, items cost $ 36.19. Item arrived China 27 JAN 22, still listed as "Onboard for delivery". Meantime Ebay closed the return, whatever that means. Asked the seller to see tracking info, proof of posting and progress. Asked for immediate refund since late deliveries from Chinapost is outside my control, and it is they who insisted that items be returned first for refund.

So far, no reply form seller, no ability to access Ebay assistance. This is the third return problem I have experienced in the last few months, all from China, all via Ebay purchases. So much for purchase guarantees by Ebay ! Seems you are the loser, the seller, Ebay, wins.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Return Fail

What date did you open the item not as described dispute?

Was it within the time limit given ?

Or did you not go through a dispute, but just return off your own bat/the seller's say so?

Did you upload the tracking information to the dispute when you returned the item?

Was it during their operational hours when you tried to contact eBay?

No good asking the seller these things, that has to be done via the proper process

There should be no reason whatsoever for there to be an issue if the correct process has been followed by the buyer

What were these sellers feedback like?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

If the seller approves the return as Not As Described, then they are resonsponsible for the return postage.

The always say that they cannot provide you with a return shipping label.

You need to get them to agree in an email that they will refund the postage amount of $xx.xx on return of the item, as well as the full amount of the original purchase. You can use the Australia Post online calculator to work out the postage cost. Don't send anything without getting this agreement.

The last time this happened, the seller was appalled at the return postage cost and just stalled. Because they didn't agree to pay for the return postage I didn't send it.  The case finally timed out so Ebay gave me a refund and I kept the item.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

What do you mean no ability to access eBay assistance? Do you mean that the return case is closed and you cannot add any information any more?

There are other ways to let them know. Have you tried contacting them via live chat?

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

OP, it is unlikely that you will have to return a SNAD item to a Chinese seller.

When opening a refund/return request, you need to make sure that you donโ€™t just assume the seller will pay for return tracked postage. Ask for label. Seller is unlikely to be able to provide this. Contact eBay Live Chat during business hours, once the seller has agreed to the return. Point out that seller is in China and has not provided paid postage for the return. Also show cost of tracked return postage; explain cost of return not commensurate with cost of item (if that is the case).

It is more than likely that in such a case, you will not need to return the item and eBay will refund youโ€ฆ but you need to be active in contacting eBay via Live Chat as well as pursuing the matter in the dispute.

Remember too that the dispute will close automatically without a refund being issued if you donโ€™t escalate by asking eBay to step in once the return label hasnโ€™t been provided. Read through the MBG help page and take note of the relevant timeframes.

Your only hope now is contacting Live Help chat and asking for their helpโ€ฆ but you have put yourself in a bad negotiating position by sending back at your own expense.

See what you can do, anyway.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

Please go and have a read of the buyers guidelines.

When a seller is not located domestically and they want the item back, THEY need to provide you with the postage funds upfront/separately as they are unable to send a shipping label.

It is a common tactic of some overseas sellers to get you to send the item back at your cost, but you should never be out of pocket for items that are defective or not as described. You have no idea if the address they give you is even valid.

Just because a seller tells you they cannot provide a shipping label is not a reason for them to avoid postage payment if they want it returned. Their only alternative is to refund you.

If you think about it - even if the seller received the item and Ebay closed the case in your favour, the most you would ever get back from a seller is your original item cost and original postage - there is no way for Ebay to force a seller to refund more than what is in the transaction. 

Ebay is not the winner here - the seller is, because you are a gullible buyer.

Please follow procedure in future and you will not be out of pocket. Open the correct cases to make things formal and get Ebay to step in if the seller wants you to return at your cost.

Also, perhaps buy local instead of Chinese?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

@sandypebbles wrote:

What date did you open the item not as described dispute?

SAME DAY OPENED A RETURN REQUEST TO BOTH EBAY AND SELLER

Was it within the time limit given ?

Or did you not go through a dispute, but just return off your own bat/the seller's say so?

Did you upload the tracking information to the dispute when you returned the item?

YES

Was it during their operational hours when you tried to contact eBay?

YES

No good asking the seller these things, that has to be done via the proper process

FOLLOWED PROPER PROCESS

There should be no reason whatsoever for there to be an issue if the correct process has been followed by the buyer

What were these sellers feedback like?

LISTED BY EBAY AS AN OUTSTANDING SELLER

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

@louisas_lines wrote:

If the seller approves the return as Not As Described, then they are resonsponsible for the return postage.

The always say that they cannot provide you with a return shipping label.

You need to get them to agree in an email that they will refund the postage amount of $xx.xx on return of the item, as well as the full amount of the original purchase. You can use the Australia Post online calculator to work out the postage cost. Don't send anything without getting this agreement.

AFTER THREE SUCCESSIVE EMAILS, THEY AGREED TO POSTAGE COSTS

The last time this happened, the seller was appalled at the return postage cost and just stalled. Because they didn't agree to pay for the return postage I didn't send it.  The case finally timed out so Ebay gave me a refund and I kept the item.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

@papermoon.lady wrote:

What do you mean no ability to access eBay assistance? Do you mean that the return case is closed and you cannot add any information any more?

YES THAT IS WHAT I MEANT

There are other ways to let them know. Have you tried contacting them via live chat?

NO I DID NOT CHAT WITH EBAY - WILL TRY THAT 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Return Fail

@countessalmirena wrote:

OP, it is unlikely that you will have to return a SNAD item to a Chinese seller.

I THOUGHT THAT TOO, SURPRISED THAT SELLER WANTED THAT

When opening a refund/return request, you need to make sure that you donโ€™t just assume the seller will pay for return tracked postage. Ask for label. Seller is unlikely to be able to provide this. Contact eBay Live Chat during business hours, once the seller has agreed to the return. Point out that seller is in China and has not provided paid postage for the return. Also show cost of tracked return postage; explain cost of return not commensurate with cost of item (if that is the case).

IT WAS QUITE A NUMBER OF EMAILS WHICH LED TO THEM ACCEPTING THE POSTAGE COSTS

It is more than likely that in such a case, you will not need to return the item and eBay will refund youโ€ฆ but you need to be active in contacting eBay via Live Chat as well as pursuing the matter in the dispute.

Remember too that the dispute will close automatically without a refund being issued if you donโ€™t escalate by asking eBay to step in once the return label hasnโ€™t been provided. Read through the MBG help page and take note of the relevant timeframes.

Your only hope now is contacting Live Help chat and asking for their helpโ€ฆ but you have put yourself in a bad negotiating position by sending back at your own expense.

See what you can do, anyway.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply