Returning an item which is larger than Australia post specs?

Here's an interesting question? How does it work with returns when an item is over the maximum specs for Australia post, yet the item was originally delivered by Australia post? And the seller cannot provide a return label.

Some mail contracts accept larger parcels (such as those mail order ladders etc) but Aus post won't take them when you go to send back so you have to cough up for couriers. But being international this isn't really a realistic option.

Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Do you have such a problem or is this a hypothetical situation?

Overseas postal services have different rules to AP......if the item was within the overseas postal service limits for posting then AP has to deliver it once it gets here but they are not obliged to return the favour.

Also, overseas sellers CANNOT provide a return label as that is a service for Australian sellers and is provided by Australia Post.

You may also have difficulty finding a courier to accept an oversize/over weight parcel.....couriers have weight limits too.....and it will cost you big time to send something that is very heavy or large.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Depending on the sellers response it may be an actual problem Lyndal. I realise that there are exceptions such as AP contracts can send bigger stuff and as you say international. As it's going to be a SNAD return it won't be me that has to fork out big time to courier it back it will be the seller. But eBay in their wisdom often underestimates what postage should cost (eg for a recent return they told me the postage would be $23 but based on actual weight by trackable delivery it was closer to $65). If the seller is non responsive as they have been so far, eBay's answer is often to instruct the buyer to return the item and they advise "we will cover $xxx postage" which in this case won't work as the item is larger than Australia Post will accept. It's not heavy or large but is long.
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

The length is not as much of a problem as the item being very large or very heavy, so that is a bit of a plus.

I believe ebay is not guaranteeing return postage as much these days....you may find the seller will not ask for the item back if it will be too expensive.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Just getting a response at all from the seller would be a start. However if I hear nothing in a few days I'll talk to eBay.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

The last return I had was a $90 item and $20 postage to get to me and was SNAD so a seller funded return which the seller refuses to acknowledge responsibility for and refused to pay return postage. eBay has authorised the return though so I'm not sure if they cover return costs where a seller refuses to or if they then claim that money back from the seller.
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Forgot to add return cost was $65 for that one.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply