Returning damaged item without tracking?

dabbleroz
Community Member

Today received an item meant as a little boy's Christmas present (cap).

Paid $6.00 for postage (Australia Post Parcel Post according to listing).

Item arrived in flimsy paper envelope (crushed) with $1.20 of value in stamps attached

(appear not gummed, stuck on with sticky tape, has me curious...anyway). Picture on

cap wrinkled/crushed. Will not be able to give as gift now and will probably have to

source one locally. The whole idea of using ebay was to try and avoid extra shopping

during this crazy period.

Anyway, I took pictures of the damage and sent those with a message to the seller.

I also opened up a report/case/claim at resolution centre.

Seller is asking/expecting me just to mark the already opened envelope 'return to

sender' and when they receive it they will issue a refund?

It is not an expensive item, the whole thing is just annoying and I am not sure how

I feel about plonking this item in a street box with RTS on it?

Advice please oh wise ones. Thankyou in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Returning damaged item without tracking?

Don't just post it return to sender, open an ebay dispute then the seller should have to pay for the return post. Any decent seller for an item that damaged would refund you in full and not ask for it back, they won't be able to sell it again as being in good condition so why they want it back is beyond me un;ess of course they sold it at way above cost price.

They were also very stupid sending it in an unregistered envelope so would have no tracking and no seller protection, Many people would, if it looks as bad as it sounds would just go for an item not received dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I actually went straight to paypal and opened a dispute there because when I went to do something via ebay there was not the option I was looking for under Ask a question on the item page. Not sure if the questions/options have changed? The paypal resolution centre atleast had the option to open a case for "Not as described" - which is what I did. Should I/can I be escalating this to a claim?

If I 'have' to return this cap shouldn't I be using a tracked means which would mean Parcel Post or Registered letter if I could squash the cap like a pancake. Not sure of the costs. But I paid $6.99 for the cap and $6.00 for postage ($12.99). Would not make sense for me to have to fork out for the 'correct' return postage...(and no I don't just want to pop it in a street box).

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Wait for PayPal to tell you what to do. They will give you the address to send it back to. Don't send it to any other address, even if the seller requests it. It has to be sent via tracked means, so if it goes as a letter, it should be registered. If you send it untracked, the seller is just as likely to say they didn't receive it, then you lose your money. 

PayPal may even say not to bother returning it, especially if the cost of postage is more than the actual item. I would escalate to a claim as soon as it will let you.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

It is not an expensive item, the whole thing is just annoying and I am not sure how

I feel about plonking this item in a street box with RTS on it?

dabbleroz,

you are not sure how you feel?

You want others to tell you how to feel about posting it back?

Firstly, if it's damaged in the post I don't think (can't be sure) that you should even bother posting it back as you will not be covered by buyer protection.

I seem to vaguely remember Ebay telling me that if damaged in post - for whatever reason- they are not interested and one needs to have it out with seller and/or PO. It just soundinded to me at the time like too much hard work, couldn't be bothered chasing all that up as my item was not expensive either, around $58.

And if yours was cheap also it might take you more time debating about it, asking other people, mucking around - not worth the trouble and your time.

Just chuck it out - easy - then you don't have a problem of finding out how you feel about posting it back.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

This is not some 'change of mind' item where I might be 'expected' to return it at my expense.

This is a damaged item, directly related to the way it was packed - straight into a paper envelope

and expected to travel as a large letter, subjected to whatever processes/handling/equipment

that letters are. The item is not actually 'flat' so how it got through as bulky as it was (ballooned

out to considerably more than 2cm) at the cheap rate is beyond me. I guess it was mailed in a

street box (sticky taped stamps, not cancelled) rather than over the counter where it might be

picked up.

But if I have to return it the way it is I will be up for thatever the Parcel Post or satchel cost is

that includes tracking, and I am guessing that this will be more than the value of the item.

I am leaning towards escalating this through paypal because if I can get a refund I will put

it towards sourcing another cap - but from a brick and mortar place!

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Any decent seller for an item that damaged would refund you in full and not ask for it back,

I have experienced some terrific sellers in regards to damage/refunds/part refunds where we didn't even have to go through the resolution centre. Yet they were much more expensive purchases and the sellers stood to lose more. And here I am with a cheap purchase going through the more formal process in hope of getting help - and a refund *if I am lucky*

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Have been trying out my new posting id but and it says I am signed in with it but its posting with my other account. I can't even blame the glitches on a Friday night maintenance session.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Firstly, if it's damaged in the post I don't think (can't be sure) that you should even bother posting it back as you will not be covered by buyer protection.

You most certainly will be covered for not as described by Paypal, ebay is a bit hazy on the subject and implies it is between the buyer, seller and AP however if you take the item and packaging to the PO and say you want to make a claim they will almost certainly turn you down saying the packaging was not up to par, with that evidence I would hope that ebay would cover the buyer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply