Returns and GST

I am a buyer who has already had to pay GST on goods bought from overseas. Yep, annoying but that's the law. My issue is, what happens if I do not receive an item or I need to return it. Will the GST amount be returned to me by ebay? Will this happen automatically?

Cheers!

Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Re: Returns and GST

As a little addendum to this. I have purchased something from eBay. The first time I went to order it the order did not process but eBay charged gst to my bank account anyway. I’m currently arguing with eBay who tell me it’s nit up to them to refund even though they incorrectly charged it
Message 41 of 54
Latest reply

lyndal, why do you have to act like you know everything. person asked simple question no need to treat people as beneath you in knowledge.i really with you would channel your energies to a charity rather than this superflous ebay rubbish
Message 42 of 54
Latest reply

good on you jacky, she deserves the content of your reply.i read all her posts and she deserves to be brought down a peg or two. she acts like a tyrant
Message 43 of 54
Latest reply

Very helpful to come on here having a shot at another poster, 13 MONTHS after the comments that you don't like were posted.

I can only assume you have been devoting your energies to charities for all that time.

Message 44 of 54
Latest reply

@scootaolle wrote:
lyndal, why do you have to act like you know everything. person asked simple question no need to treat people as beneath you in knowledge.i really with you would channel your energies to a charity rather than this superflous ebay rubbish

Smiley Tongue  And how do you know what I do outside the ebay boards?

Message 45 of 54
Latest reply

Lyndal ,thanks for your reply. i don't know what you do outside of ebay,but i Imagine it's not much by the time you spend on this frivolous rubbish.i come across people like you all the time in business with inflated egos and thinking they are superior to everyone else.The tone of your reply bears this out.being applauded by less knowledgable people is no true indication of how superior you think you are.
Message 46 of 54
Latest reply

thanks davewil.Helping charities i have been.why do you think i've posted what i have.now i see the amount of posts you've had no doubt you should also devote your energies to helping charities. my charity the Salvation Army is always looking for volunteers.Seeing yours and lyndals posts i'm not sure you both would be humble enough though.Worshiping lyndal is not a worthy position for you. just a observation.
Message 47 of 54
Latest reply

@scootaolle wrote:
thanks davewil.Helping charities i have been.why do you think i've posted what i have.now i see the amount of posts you've had no doubt you should also devote your energies to helping charities. my charity the Salvation Army is always looking for volunteers.Seeing yours and lyndals posts i'm not sure you both would be humble enough though.Worshiping lyndal is not a worthy position for you. just a observation.

It would be difficult at the moment. All the Op shops are closed.

My observation is that you could spend some of your time reading up on how eBay works, then you wouldn't need to come in here, years after the fact, to have pointless shots at other members.

Message 48 of 54
Latest reply

@scootaolle wrote:
Lyndal ,thanks for your reply. i don't know what you do outside of ebay,but i Imagine it's not much by the time you spend on this frivolous rubbish.i come across people like you all the time in business with inflated egos and thinking they are superior to everyone else.The tone of your reply bears this out.being applauded by less knowledgable people is no true indication of how superior you think you are.

Not that I need to justify anything to you but I will do so.

I do have more than a basic knowledge of the GST as I have been dealing with it since it's inception 20 years ago....in 2 different businesses.

I am partially disabled and have been working from home for many years doing compliance paperwork for our businesses.  I have the luxury of working whatever hours suit me so I do have time to be on the boards.

I am sure the OPs of the threads on the boards would be interested to know that you consider them to be frivolous rubbish.  I don't treat them as frivolous and try to use my knowledge to help if I can.  I certainly don't consider myself superior.

It is a bit difficult to help members who demonstrate that they have no idea of how the GST works in real life.

Message 49 of 54
Latest reply

Thanks for this question Jacky! I am un the exact position you're talking about and am reading this to understand how my GST refund will be processed for an overseas transaction. I really appreciate you finding out for all of us that may come across what will be a common occurence.
Message 50 of 54
Latest reply