SELLER WANTS TO CHARGE ME FOR INITIAL POSTAGE AFTER RETURN

Hi there, so i recently purchased an item that included bolts, from a seller which was listed as $122 + free shipping. The bolts that i received from the seller were as described, however he noted in the description that it was compatible for my car but it was not. So ive sent out the parcel back to the seller, posting it at my expense and the seller is informing me that i will only get back $105 to cover the initial $16 postage fee?? im not sure if this is right or not i just want to know if i should be getting $122 back instead of $105, if someone could shed some light on my situation that would be great thanks!

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Did you open an eBay return request before sending them back?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

So you bought something that was as described and you think the seller should be out of pocket for the initial postage?

The seller is already out of pocket for the eBay and Paypal fees for your mistake, something in the order of $15. How much do YOU think they should suffer for your mistake.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds like seller has incorrectly said it fits the OP's vehicle.

image host
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

But the buyer admits he got what was ordered.

I certainly would know what exactly I was buying and whether I knew it fitted my vehicle before purchase.

Not true. I wouldn't buy parts for a vehicle online unless from an authorised Australian agent of the manufacturer. And I would need a compelling reason to do so through eBay.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

But the buyer admits he got what was ordered.

I certainly would know what exactly I was buying and whether I knew it fitted my vehicle before purchase.

If the seller has incorrectly claimed compatibility with a certain model of vehicle, they should be taking responsibily for the mistake. The buyer might have received the correct physical item (i.e. bolts of a particular size/shape/material) but if they're not compatible (because for example, the seller has the thread pitch specs wrong), the buyer hasn't got what they're ordered as it's not fit for the purpose described.

OP, were you in touch with the seller prior to returning the item to him? If so, what was discussed or agreed to?

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I think the issue is, the buyer filed a return for "doesn't fit" and the policy under eBay is that's the buyers responsibility to make sure something fits before purchasing and the buyer is responsible for return postage.

Ontop of that the seller may have a restocking fee, as it was classed under ebay of buyer fault/ buyer changed of mind. hence the "initial postage cost"

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

"...however he noted in the description that it was compatible for my car ..."

If the above is correct, the seller has advertised it incorrectly and is responsible. To some degree, a buyer is reliant on the seller to provide accurate information or specifications about the item they're selling - you can't check something is the actually item until you've received it.

The issue here will be returning the item outside of an eBay return, which is what appears to have happened.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

I think the issue is, the buyer filed a return for "doesn't fit" and the policy under eBay is that's the buyers responsibility to make sure something fits before purchasing and the buyer is responsible for return postage.

This is a change of mind return reason under eBay's policies as it's meant to be for items that are described accurately, for example a pair of jeans with all sizing and accurate measurements stated, but turn out to not fit when it arrives. i.e. Nothing can be attributed to the seller for the mistake or misunderstanding. 

It would make sense to a lot of buyers to select that in these kinds of cases and only realise afterwards that they chose incorrectly as this is definitely a not as described case - a further example is, under ACL, if I go into a shop and pick out an item, and ask the staff if it can perform a specific function that's not listed by the manufacturer as being an available function (eg I'm holding a standard toaster and ask if it makes toasted sandwiches [or jaffles, depending on your dialect Smiley Very Happy ]) and they say "yes", then I get it home and discover it can't make toasted sandwiches at all, it is 100% a case of not as described / not fit for purpose, regardless of whether someone else could intuitively know it doesn't, or could research independently to find out, because the sales rep led me to believe it could do something it couldn't and that's why I bought it (or more the case, why the sillier, hypothetical me did Smiley LOL ). 

It doesn't seem like the buyer has opened a case, though, as with free post items it doesn't matter if you choose a change of mind or not as described reason, since in the majority of circumstances, only a full refund of the purchase price can be issued once received back.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

This was nothing to do with my point, I chose not to state seller/buyer responsible as I don't know anything about the transaction, listing or anything.

My point was, this is a likely a return for doesn't fit. if you READ my point. the buyer is ONLY getting refunded $105 opposed $122 to which is approximately 15%. The buyer is ALSO paying for return postage, which would not be a SNAD Return. Doesn't fit returns: buyer is responsible for return postage, SNAD returns: Seller responsible.

I chose not to go in a he said/ she said fashion as we are not in the transaction nor know anything about the listing or OPs car. You argue the seller is responsible? how do we know the buyer bought the right part. It might for the same model and look the same but the wrong year. We don't know, OP hasn't replied lets not jump to conclusions yes?

I'm not blaming the buyer or seller either, I purely just stated ebays policies on the doesn't fit return & my assumption of the situation that is happening. As Digi said its more based on clothes not car parts, but yes it is annoying as a buyer.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply