SNAD - negative feedback removed - cant even discuss feedback with seller?

i have had a nightmare with a seller who after describing a $500 turntable as mint condition and perfect shipped me a heavily used and dirty item.  I took a video of the missing parts, damaged knobs and dirt and the seller admitted it was like that when it was shipped.  the item didnt even match the auction photos.

they offered me a full refund which would have cost me $200 in return shipping or a partial refund.  after taking the unit to a repairer and being quoted $240 to bring the unit back to mint condition, i offered to split the cost with the seller.  they offered $70.  i argued this wasn't enough and i stated if we couldn't work out a mutually agreeable position i would have to cut my losses leave negative feedback - which i did in the end as the seller basically lied about the item.  i didnt want to accept a low offer of hush money once it became clear they where being dishonest.

they have claimed extortion and had the feedback removed even through it was fair.  after emailing ebay to ask why the feedback was removed. they are accusing me of engaging in improper behaviour

"I assure you that this warning doesn't affect your account at the moment, however we respectfully request you refrain from this activity in the future."

it appears its a case of being guilty while proven innocent and it appears you cant even discuss your right to leave feedback with a seller who offered you money in the first place as it leave you open to an extortion claim? 

the feedback was removed in a matter of hours there is no way the 30 or so emails between the seller and i have been reviewed.  so im stuck with a $240 repair bill and a warning from ebay.

Message 1 of 84
Latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Have you actually proceeded through an INAD case?

image host
Message 2 of 84
Latest reply

no because i thought it would have resulted in me having to return the item at around $200 cost to me.  the refund would have been $600.  this was laid out in our countless emails.  i can believe you can even discuss feedback without leaving yourself open to a claim from a dishonest seller.

Message 3 of 84
Latest reply

.... but its fine for the seller to offer me money to be "happy"

Message 4 of 84
Latest reply

.... but its fine for the seller to offer me money to be "happy"

unfortunately yes, that is true, because, a seller can ONLY leave a buyer a positive feedback, no seller is allowed to leave a negative,  whereas a Buyer has the options of positive / neutral or negative, and comments about 'no alternative but to leave a neg' can / and are / seen by eBay as f'back extortion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 84
Latest reply

So I guess it cost 500, 240 to repair and alternately 200 to return to get a 500 refund.

Have you spoken with PayPal, on occasions they will see in favour of buyer should an item be too costly to return. I suggest calling them providing you are still in the time frame to open a case. 

image host
Message 6 of 84
Latest reply

well thats BS.  well been a ebay user for 11 years and (i just checked) never left negative feedback against a buyer or have had negative feedback against me. 

its crazy.  

regardless the item didnt match the auction description by a long stretch and that counts for nothing now.  a clear scammer walks.

awesome.

so the lesson here is dont ever discuss feedback with the seller even if they do.

Message 7 of 84
Latest reply

Call ebay or use the live chat; telling seller that unless they provide you with what you paid for is not FB extortion.  FB extortion is when you ask for something extra.  Expecting the seller to pay for repairs needed to bring the item into condition that it supposed to be to start with should not be classified as extortion.  Ask them to re-instate the FB

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 84
Latest reply

Why would returning it cost $200?  Did you buy it from O/S? 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 84
Latest reply

Found it; the definition for FB extortion:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Message 10 of 84
Latest reply