Scam seller with fake tracking number. Ebay refuse to cover the refund guarantee

On 02/07/2021 I purchased a baby pram from a seller.  The ebay shows the item was delivered on  06/07/2021 but I have not received anything. I checked auspost tracking number but the number has no information (I don’t know how the seller is able to do this)

When I contacted seller on 08/07/2021, seller told me that the item has not been shipped yet. The seller said:  “eBay automatically sends you an email and notification of this and will advise you it's shipped when it may not have, it's not something we can control.

So I waited till 13/07/2021 and asked the seller again and was told the item still not been sent. So I create a dispute case with ebay. Then request ebay to step in on 17/07.

However ebay just closed by case without any explanation.  It simply says “sorry your item is not covered by the refund guarantee”

I request for an appeal. But ebay automatically rejected the appeal.

This seller is an known scammer as other buyer also been scammer abd left the negative feedback

After reading other posts, it seems that ebay will not refund if the items is showing “delivered”

What should I do?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Scam seller with fake tracking number. Ebay refuse to cover the refund guarantee

Do you have the item number? If so, please post it here. I am wondering whether the pram was listed in a category designed to avoid MBG protection.

Don't lose hope. It's possible you can still be refunded one way or another.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks. The item number is:   353554663884

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

That's strange. I get 0 results for both completed and sold listings...

While reading your post though I thought exactly the same as the countess, as some categories are excluded from the MBG, so scammers list their items in those categories.

Did you pay by PayPal? If you did, you can still open a dispute in PayPal.

Edit: Is the seller the last seller who gave you feedback? Yes, he or she appears to be a scammer.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The item number comes up as no results for me too

But if it is the last seller (at the time of typing) to leave you feedback (feedback is -1)

I agree, scammer to the max. Member 2 months and has sold (scammed) several thousands dollars

As said, try a PayPal dispute 

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I know that closed cases cannot be reopened, but if it becomes evident that the buyer was right and that the seller was obviously a scammer, would eBay refund? That seller will soon be unregistered anyway.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

I'm just wondering - if you paid via Paypal, perhaps you could open a dispute for "Not as Described" as you have 180 days.

If the seller wants the phantom item back, they will need to send you a postage label, or refund you completely.

Do not open a dispute for "Not Delivered", as the seller has somehow managed to fake the tracking and you will lose again.

Alternatively, if you funded the whole thing with a credit card, contact your provider.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

I think the OP should show PayPal (if she paid via PayPal) her conversation with the seller. The seller said that the item had not been sent yet, even after the fake tracking showed that it had been delivered. I don't know why eBay didn't take what the seller himself said into consideration...

With "item not as described" PayPal could ask for photos?

PS: I also wonder if it was really an AusPost tracking number... For a pram?

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I have located the listing.

Jengo Panorama Travel System Slate

Date of the purchase: 3 Jul 2021

Delivery: Estimated within 12-16 business days.
It was listed under the correct category, so that's not the problem...

OP, it's only been 10 business days. Your dispute was opened too early, I think, unless your list in My eBay under your purchases shows a shorter ETA.

If I am correct, then what you'll need to do is contact eBay Live Chat using any subject, really, and explain the situation in very clear terms.

• That is, you opened the dispute when you began to see the seller's feedback percentage go splat, and your item had not been delivered.
  • The seller has feedback of -1, and feedback percentage of 33.3%.
  • Other feedback indicates that the seller is not sending the items and is possibly a scammer.
  • You are concerned that the seller's behaviour demonstrates risk for eBay.
  • The item has not been received; you think that perhaps you might have opened the dispute prematurely out of inexperience.
  • The tracking number on Australia Post's parcel tracking page does not show a "delivered" status.
  • On the basis of this, you ask the eBay CS rep to reopen the case and issue you with a refund.

Stay ultra-polite the whole time.

You can also - before contacting Live Chat - report the seller to ACSC, and then that will give some gravitas to your request in chatting with eBay.

Spoiler
Scroll down to "Select the link below to report on behalf of:", and click onto "Individual".
Follow the prompts, and you will get to a page which says "Please select the option that best describes what happened". Scroll down to "Someone has deceived you into buying or selling products or services online or to donate to a charity" and click onto it.
The rest is straightforward. You should end up with an incident number or report number, and you can quote that to the eBay CS rep.

If eBay still refuse to refund you, you should be able to make a complaint through PayPal's Buyer Protection - but give eBay the chance first to agree to a refund.

Should PayPal also refuse to refund you, your card issuer (if you funded the purchase with your card) should be able to help you with a chargeback.

But don't rush in to those alternatives at this stage. If eBay refund you, then no need for any PayPal claim. (If you do open a PayPal claim, you cannot thereafter be refunded through eBay under any circumstances.)

And if you request a chargeback, you can't open a PayPal claim or an eBay claim thereafter. That's why you'd never start off by going the chargeback route; keep that if all other options are exhausted, because you can't go back and use eBay's MBG or PayPal's Buyer Protection if chargeback has already been tried.
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

You're a wonder, countess. I looked up that seller's 'completed listings' and it is very odd because although there have been 3 sales in the last month, it came up showing zero completed listings. Same with sold listings.

In view of the disastrous last 2 sales, I believe ebay should at the very least be checking out the first sale/buyer ID to see if that was a set up.

But it may not have been, it is hard to say, because what I find odd is the seller admitted each time that the item had not yet been posted. You'd think their response would have been that it was in the post.

And what has happened to the 21 day hold on funds for new sellers? Is that still in place?

I am wondering if the seller, being new, just abandoned the whole sales thing after the first sale and decided not to bother following through. They may not yet have the money and their view may be 'Just let them keep the money'.

Of course, it isn't the buyer keeping the money, it is ebay/paypal and in time if there is no claim upheld, that money will go into the seller's account.

Odds of getting it back then? Low.

I think you should be able to get your money back, one way or the other but you'll need to try each way in the correct order.

1. First off, try what countess suggested with live chat and explain the position. Even invite the rep to look at the messages.

If that doesn't work, all I can say is ebay is incompetent, but let's face it, sometimes they are!

2. Then try paypal, again being very clear the item did not arrive.

3. Finally, try a charge back.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply