Scam - sent fake item

PLEASE HELP I bought an item, 2 weeks later a postcard arrived saying 'thanks for your purchase'. It had the barcode of the bought item ,, so the item shows as 'delivered' on ebay. The 'real' item is obviously not coming. Ebay is sending me in circles with no actual help. I have contacted the seller who said the postcard must have separated from the parcel (it's in an envelope) and no longer reply to requests. How do i get to a real person in ebay to get real help?? Thanks

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scam - sent fake item

As mentioned, open a dispute for item not as described. DO NOT open a dispute for item not received, or you will lose as the tracking shows delivered. You only have 30 days from the last ETA to open a dispute through ebay Money Back Guarantee, so don't delay. If it's longer than 30 days, open the dispute through PayPal if you paid that way.

DO NOT close the dispute because the seller says so. Some will tell you the dispute needs to be closed for a refund. It's a lie. Once you have the option, ask ebay to step in and help. Usually that option comes up 4-6 days after the dispute is open. If the seller is forced to refund, they will get a defect on their account.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Scam - sent fake item

Open a case for "item not as described". Stop communication with the seller.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

As mentioned, open a dispute for item not as described. DO NOT open a dispute for item not received, or you will lose as the tracking shows delivered. You only have 30 days from the last ETA to open a dispute through ebay Money Back Guarantee, so don't delay. If it's longer than 30 days, open the dispute through PayPal if you paid that way.

DO NOT close the dispute because the seller says so. Some will tell you the dispute needs to be closed for a refund. It's a lie. Once you have the option, ask ebay to step in and help. Usually that option comes up 4-6 days after the dispute is open. If the seller is forced to refund, they will get a defect on their account.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

If by barcode, you mean the tracking number, then what it has done is exactly what you said-showed it as 'delivered' to ebay.

It is important when you open a case that it is as papermoon advised, for an 'item not as described'.

Don't try to open a case for item not received.

Don't close the case till you get a full refund. If a seller wants an item back in this sort of case, they have to provide you with a return postage label (at their expense). If the seller did this, simply pop the postcard in and return that.

You probably won't get a real person to step in for you from ebay, the process is pretty automated, so just open a claim. There is chat available if you do get stuck but if you open a claim, the seller can't win if he ignores you.

eBay Money Back Guarantee policy | eBay

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

The seller is trying to trick you.

Follow the good advice others have given you.

Why bother even trying to communicate with such a seller?

Did you check the sellers feedback before purchasing? Were there any red flags? If the seller did this to you, then they have probably done it to others, who would hopefully leave appropriate warning feedback.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

Thanks so much everyone, i was so stressed to get it reported immediately that I found the 'return due to wrong item sent' so i'm hoping that works ok. Ebay did send me a "we can step in in 5 days email". So annoyed but glad I kept the postcard and envelope with barcode of the real item that should have been sent. Fingers crossed i don't lose $154.00. Thanks again everyone, I feel a bit more confident now.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

@diyrainbow wrote:

Thanks so much everyone, i was so stressed to get it reported immediately that I found the 'return due to wrong item sent' so i'm hoping that works ok. Ebay did send me a "we can step in in 5 days email". So annoyed but glad I kept the postcard and envelope with barcode of the real item that should have been sent. Fingers crossed i don't lose $154.00. Thanks again everyone, I feel a bit more confident now.

Please come back and let us know how it all goes. Crossing everything for you!

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

I hope everything works out and ebay see it in your favour. To sort anything out it is usually in circles hopefully not this time. When do Police services get involved in Fraud , surely its at least reportable. Enough reporting of anything usually makes change. Now Ebay if they find against the seller they should ban that user indefinitely. Good luck I feel for you. 

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

SUCCESS!! Luckily when I sent the first response 'to seller' (as ebay compels me to) I attached photos of the envelope and thankyou card inside. Most people would have just thrown it away only to discover too late that it has the barcode of the real package. So when the buyer says it hasn't arrived the post office will show that the 'package' was scanned and delivered .. and you have nothing but a 'thankyou card' from the seller and no way to prove otherwise. Bottom of the barrel scum suckers! Of course the sellers excuse is "the thankyou card must have been separated from the package" .. so then why does it say .. 'thankyou in advance,  please wait a few days for your parcel to arrive' and in its own black plastic envelope .. clever.  Thanks again everyone,  I will warn as many as possible. 

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Scam - sent fake item

Does this mean you were successful in getting a refund? I hope so!

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply