Scam??

Hello,

I recently bought an item which failed to arrive, so after the time allotted I contacted the Seller to provide a refund,  and the order was cancelled and going of ebay the refund sent, which took awhile since, as I beleive order cancelled payment goes back to original payment method as is required by Australian Law. However this has not happened, as my Afterpay is still showing the amount owing and as past experience dictates, its instantaneous from the point they recieve the cancellation. That being said I now received an email from Paypal stating that I have cash waiting for me in my account, the message was from the seller herself, but nowhere to be found in paypal no message no amount. Ebay cannot be contacted which i think is a scam in itself. I want to escalate this but I dont know who to go to? Anyone one have relevant advice please?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scam??

goodmoods73,

According to the relevant eBay Help page (re Afterpay payments), it ought to be the case that the amount you've already paid is refunded to your funding source (for instance, if you funded it with your credit card, the amount already paid should go back to your credit card), and it also ought to be the case that no further payments would be taken.

Refunds

If you're getting a refund for your eBay purchase (for example, because you returned an item), Afterpay will refund your card and/or adjust your repayment plan accordingly. This normally takes 2-3 days, but can take up to 10 days.

Full refunds on eBay

Afterpay will refund you for the instalments which you'd already paid, and your payment plan will be cancelled. For example, if your order value was $100 and you'd paid $50 so far, Afterpay will refund you $50 and won't take any further payments.

[...]

Once a refund is initiated on eBay, you'll receive an email from Afterpay with details of your refund or changes to your payment plan. For more help with refunds to your card or your new repayment plan, please see Afterpay's information about refunds or get in touch with Afterpay.❞

- Paying with Afterpay: Refunds

Hopefully your situation is just a glitch, or the timeframe has not yet elapsed for the refund to be actioned. You paid on 19th January; when did the seller inform you that the refund was given? As you can see in the above quoted Help information, it "normally takes 2-3 days, but can take up to 10 days."

If it's been more than 10 days since the refund was issued, I would suggest that you contact Afterpay using the link above, and explain that you haven't been contacted by them and you would like to ascertain whether or not the refund has truly been actioned.

If Afterpay tell you that no refund has been actioned, then double-check your PayPal account in case the seller has issued a refund through PayPal rather than through eBay. That might mean that the funds would go to your PayPal account.

You say that you've checked your PayPal account. I hope that you did not click onto a link in a message or email. The safe way to access your PayPal account is to open a new browser window or tab, and type the URL directly into the web address field.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Scam??

You don't contact the seller for a refund you need to open an item not received case through ebay and follow the procedure and then ebay contact the seller on your behalf and ask the seller to respond and if the seller doesn't respond in the time frame then ebay issue you the refund.

You only get 30 days from the due date to open a case so if it has been more than that then you can try in PayPal as you get 180 days to open a case.

But if you paid by a non safe payment ie bank transfer then you're out of luck and won't see any refund.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

@goodmoods73 wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought an item which failed to arrive, so after the time allotted I contacted the Seller to provide a refund,  and the order was cancelled and going of ebay the refund sent, which took awhile since, as I beleive order cancelled payment goes back to original payment method as is required by Australian Law. However this has not happened, as my Afterpay is still showing the amount owing and as past experience dictates, its instantaneous from the point they recieve the cancellation. That being said I now received an email from Paypal stating that I have cash waiting for me in my account, the message was from the seller herself, but nowhere to be found in paypal no message no amount. Ebay cannot be contacted which i think is a scam in itself. I want to escalate this but I dont know who to go to? Anyone one have relevant advice please?

Hi, what instylecollectables says is correct and that's the path to follow. Could I just ask please when it was that you paid for the item?

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

Thank you.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

19th of January, I received messages from ebay stating that the refund was done and completed but no funds have been recieved, and anyone who knows Afterpay it is instantaneously, once notified?
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

goodmoods73,

According to the relevant eBay Help page (re Afterpay payments), it ought to be the case that the amount you've already paid is refunded to your funding source (for instance, if you funded it with your credit card, the amount already paid should go back to your credit card), and it also ought to be the case that no further payments would be taken.

Refunds

If you're getting a refund for your eBay purchase (for example, because you returned an item), Afterpay will refund your card and/or adjust your repayment plan accordingly. This normally takes 2-3 days, but can take up to 10 days.

Full refunds on eBay

Afterpay will refund you for the instalments which you'd already paid, and your payment plan will be cancelled. For example, if your order value was $100 and you'd paid $50 so far, Afterpay will refund you $50 and won't take any further payments.

[...]

Once a refund is initiated on eBay, you'll receive an email from Afterpay with details of your refund or changes to your payment plan. For more help with refunds to your card or your new repayment plan, please see Afterpay's information about refunds or get in touch with Afterpay.❞

- Paying with Afterpay: Refunds

Hopefully your situation is just a glitch, or the timeframe has not yet elapsed for the refund to be actioned. You paid on 19th January; when did the seller inform you that the refund was given? As you can see in the above quoted Help information, it "normally takes 2-3 days, but can take up to 10 days."

If it's been more than 10 days since the refund was issued, I would suggest that you contact Afterpay using the link above, and explain that you haven't been contacted by them and you would like to ascertain whether or not the refund has truly been actioned.

If Afterpay tell you that no refund has been actioned, then double-check your PayPal account in case the seller has issued a refund through PayPal rather than through eBay. That might mean that the funds would go to your PayPal account.

You say that you've checked your PayPal account. I hope that you did not click onto a link in a message or email. The safe way to access your PayPal account is to open a new browser window or tab, and type the URL directly into the web address field.

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

Thank you Princess I will. 🙂
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

Countess I meant 🙂
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

@goodmoods73 wrote:

19th of January, I received messages from ebay stating that the refund was done and completed but no funds have been recieved, and anyone who knows Afterpay it is instantaneously, once notified?

OK, 19th of Jan for notifivcation stating refund etc., but when was the actual purchase date? Cheers.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Scam??

queen.gifYou are more than welcome to elevate me from the peerage to royalty - any time!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply