Scammed

Hi guys and girls. 

I recently made a purchase without doing research.

I paid via PayPal and have not received a receipt.
My bank statements say the withdrawal went through

and there are transactions of -$1 and -$149.99.
I've tried to contact the seller to confirm the order placed

and get a receipt.

But no luck.

The order was placed on the 13th.

This is the item I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2017-200CC-6-5HP-Go-Kart-Dune-Buggy-ATV-QUAD-4-Stroke-Upgraded-Adult-Kids...

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Scammed

@kaleboisset0 wrote:

I did not pay the $1.
It was taken out on its own.

it is being delivered from china, free delivery.
I live in Australia

Paypal has no history of this transaction taking place.

I've already reported the scammer via Help & Contact

That's because it's a scam listing,(a $750 plus Go kart for $150 isn't going to happen).

So you would've been directed via a link to a fake payment site to pay.

If you paid via a credit card you need to contact your bank as the scammer will have the account details.

You also need to contact eBay and report the account as a hijacked account.

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

eg: Call us,Call me,Chat with us and Email us.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

Just keep in mind that Call us or Call me option are only available

during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and 8 am to

5 pm on Sat and Sun).

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Scammed

Why did you pay the $1?

Was it being delivered or were you picking it up?

If you paid through Paypal and it came from your bank account, it can take up to a week to clear into the seller's account. If pickup, why didn't you just pay cash after inspecting the item? What does your Paypal account say?

The 13th was Wednesday, TWO working days ago, so I'm not sure what your panic is.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

I did not pay the $1.

I live in Australia

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

Bank account to Paypal takes around 5 working days to clear, so no invoice till payment clears, delivery will be longer than you may expect, coming from China via airmail, but overall still a bargain and a lot of fun for under a $150, i know as have built a few off road buggies and you cannot build one yourself for that price.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

PayPal do a small debit when the account is set up to see that everything is okay with the PayPal account details given when the account is set up.  If you set up the PayPal account recently then that would explain the $1 debit.

If you check your account regularly you will probably find that the $1 is credited back to your PayPal account within a few weeks.

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

Did you buy from this account? If you did, that's what the $1 is for. PayPal take an amount from your account and you have to then tell them what the amount is to verify your bank account.

Go into your purchase history and locate the transaction. Is there a $ sign indicating it's been paid, or is there an egg timer? If it's the egg timer, you have paid from your bank account via PayPal and it's gone through as an eCheque. As Dave said, it can take a week to clear.

Looking at the item you bought and others like it, it looks to me like you have been scammed. It's cheap, it's got free postage, it's coming from China, immediate payment is required. A seller in South Australia is selling the same item, showing the same photo, for $795 + Postage.

Now, the issue you are going to have if it does turn out to be a scam, getting a refund. The item is listed in the cars, bikes, boats category, which doesn't have buyer protection. If you try to open a dispute, it might say you can't. Unfortunately, the estimated arrival date is saying 4-8 weeks away, and you can't open an eBay dispute until after the last estimate date. It's showing as Nov 16 for me, so would be a few days earlier for you.

You could try opening a PayPal dispute after you've waited a reasonable amount of time. However, once you've opened a PayPal dispute, if it fails, you can't then open an eBay dispute. PayPal will say they can't give you a refund because of the category. You'll probably need to ring them and explain that the seller is a scammer who has listed items in the automotive category. It might take a few calls to convince them that you've been scammed. Hopefully another member go-tazz will be along soon and see your message as he knows how to deal with these things.

FYI, this is the listing that the seller has stolen. He is even using the Aussie sellers photo. I can't send that seller a message from this account to say that someone has stolen his listings, but if anyone else wants to send him a message, he will probably want to know. The scammer has actually stolen quite a few of his listings.

For the future, if you find something that is way cheaper than everyone else, it's a scam. EBay is not the bargain basement it used to be. Be very wary of Chinese sellers selling expensive stuff really cheap.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

@pacotrading wrote:

Bank account to Paypal takes around 5 working days to clear, so no invoice till payment clears, delivery will be longer than you may expect, coming from China via airmail, but overall still a bargain and a lot of fun for under a $150, i know as have built a few off road buggies and you cannot build one yourself for that price.

It's a scam. He stole the listing (and many others) from a seller in South Australia.

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

The $1.00 was probably to verify your email for the account was correct, if so that will be refunded.

But, did you read the feedback for that seller? A lot of negatives for "item not received"......................

On top of that you have no buyer protection in the vehicles category.

Read this link, the applicable paragraph is shown below.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#int_Schedule_1

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

@kaleboisset0 wrote:

I did not pay the $1.

I live in Australia

I've already reported the scammer via Help & Contact

That's because it's a scam listing,(a $750 plus Go kart for $150 isn't going to happen).

So you would've been directed via a link to a fake payment site to pay.

If you paid via a credit card you need to contact your bank as the scammer will have the account details.

You also need to contact eBay and report the account as a hijacked account.

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

eg: Call us,Call me,Chat with us and Email us.

http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1485

Just keep in mind that Call us or Call me option are only available

during business hours,(8 am to 9 pm Mon to Fri and 8 am to

5 pm on Sat and Sun).

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Scammed

Now the big question is, will the OP take notice, or will they still think they are going to get the item?

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply