Seller Time Waster

Hi There All.

I'd like to WARN all buyers of this seller: He's trying to sell a HotToys Robocop 1:6 scale fot $650. Noone was biting so after a month,  he/she dropped the price down to $500. That's where I came into the picture.

After organising to meet up to inspect a 6 year old expensive collectable this guy stuffed me around so much to the point where I went to the town where he was located to inspect the item after driving for 30 mins and pay for it but instead he gave me the run around and would not meet up to inspect the collectable

Here's the messages sent to him and from me. I suspect a fraud. What do you people think?

To understand it you gotta read it from the bottom to the top. In other words the first msg is at the bottom of the msg transcript.

Can anyone explain to me what went wrong in this transaction? So dissapointed... he has great feedback aswell. Just does not make sense.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Seller Time Waster

I can't see any of the messages, they have been removed.

But what you need to know is that, ridiculous as it might seem to you at first glance, you can't arrange to inspect items before you buy, exchange addresses and phone numbers etc

I know you may not have meant any harm at all, just wanted to see it before bidding or buying on ebay, but ebay has clamped down on those sorts of messages because of course there is the possibility, if you meet up and pay cash on the spot, that the item might not be sold officially 'on' ebay ie ebay would miss out on fees.

And that's a legitimate concern as after all, they hosted the ad, they have given the seller the coverage to find buyers, so they are entitled to their commission.

Without being able to see any details of the actual seller, just going on your description, I don't get the feeling the seller is any kind of fraud. If he has a lot of great feedback, then he is probably genuine. Ebay may have given him a warning about his messages, he may not even be able to see or respond to messages at the moment, who knows.

If you think the $500 price is good, and if the item is still for sale, you could buy it and arrange for pick up then (if pick up is an option in the ad). That way, if the item isn't as described, you just don't pay at pick up. Even if the item is posted out, if it is not as described, you could open an ebay case, though I know you don't want to get into that situation if it can be avoided. Best thing is to ask questions about an item when in doubt so you have a clear idea about what you are buying.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller Time Waster

He's trying to sell a HotToys Robocop 1:6 scale fot $650

No he's not, you have said he's asking $500.

You are not allowed to name other members.

If he stuffed you around, he stuffed you around. The item remains his property until such time as the transaction is completed, so there is not much you can do about it.

Frankly, from your messages the seller might well have decided you were too much hard work.

As far as fraud goes, that requires that he cost you actual money, not time, so there is definitely no fraud.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

imastawka
Honored Contributor

What's not going to make sense is your post after the mods have deleted the seller's name and all of the messages.   All a 'no-no'

Have you paid for it?

If not, then ebay has suspended the seller from any activites for a week probably because of your messages.

They don't like sales 'off ebay'

edit: Dave, the price has been revised 3 times.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

He initially had it being sold for $650...noone was interested so he's dropped the price to $500 pick up

To much hard work?

The item is listed as NEW...

If the seller has nothing to hide, then why stuff buyers around?

Maybe because the item is not new?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

He says he sent you the addy.

Maybe he thinks you're mucking him around.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

@imastawka wrote:

He says he sent you the addy.

Maybe he thinks you're mucking him around.

could it be possible that eBay bots removed the address from the seller's message? Then, the seller would think the OP was mucking them around by asking for the address.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

Probably.  If he hasn't paid for it.

OP you can only exchange addresses if you have paid.

Then it's a legitimate transaction.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

I can't see any of the messages, they have been removed.

But what you need to know is that, ridiculous as it might seem to you at first glance, you can't arrange to inspect items before you buy, exchange addresses and phone numbers etc

I know you may not have meant any harm at all, just wanted to see it before bidding or buying on ebay, but ebay has clamped down on those sorts of messages because of course there is the possibility, if you meet up and pay cash on the spot, that the item might not be sold officially 'on' ebay ie ebay would miss out on fees.

And that's a legitimate concern as after all, they hosted the ad, they have given the seller the coverage to find buyers, so they are entitled to their commission.

Without being able to see any details of the actual seller, just going on your description, I don't get the feeling the seller is any kind of fraud. If he has a lot of great feedback, then he is probably genuine. Ebay may have given him a warning about his messages, he may not even be able to see or respond to messages at the moment, who knows.

If you think the $500 price is good, and if the item is still for sale, you could buy it and arrange for pick up then (if pick up is an option in the ad). That way, if the item isn't as described, you just don't pay at pick up. Even if the item is posted out, if it is not as described, you could open an ebay case, though I know you don't want to get into that situation if it can be avoided. Best thing is to ask questions about an item when in doubt so you have a clear idea about what you are buying.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me what was going on. Next time I'll learn to bid or buy the item first before organising to view it. First time for everything , well for me anyhow. I think the seller blocked me from buying the item. Sux as I really wanted to buy it. Live and learn I guess.
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Seller Time Waster

I'll remember the next time I want to view an item not ask to inspect a high end collectable that is prone to wear and tear issues as it's to much "Hard work"

Don't ever sell anything..."To much Hard work" Great advice lols
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply