Seller cancelled and taking his time refunding

jdpen001
Community Member

I paid about USD$90 for an item which the seller then cancelled.  He's told me he'll pay me in six days from now (final date allowable by Ebay.)  Is there any reason why I shouldn't demand immediate repayment to my Visa card?  

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I don't know how they process refunds. When I've cancelled here, it refunds as well, no choice to wait and hold that up, unless pending paypal retrieving money from our bank accounts which can be slow.

Keep an eye on this seller. Doesn't sound right to me. Maybe even speak to ebay via live chat

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

Spoke to live chat (didnt know it was there - first time I've used Ebay in 10 years) and they said the refund process should be started immediately. However they said to wait three days and they'll refund me if the seller doesn't cough up. Used a Visa card btw, and seller is in Malaysia.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I'm guessing seller became worried when your only feedback is a neg.

A refund will go back to the funding source, credit card but can take 3-5 working days depending on your bank.

Maybe a little longer being an International transaction.

image host
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

If you received a cancellation notification, the seller has cancelled and refunded, it is the Ebay system which takes over and the seller has no control. He has advised 6 days because it goes back to your credit card and it normally takes that long (sellers with Aus it takes 3-5 business days)

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Interesting to note US seller can leave net feedback! I thought seller couldn't leave negs!

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz wrote:

Interesting to note US seller can leave net feedback! I thought seller couldn't leave negs!

It is very old feedback (the page says over 5 years old ("Item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 5 years old"). I think they changed the rules only a couple of years ago or so (I don't know the exact year). Over 5 years ago sellers could leave neg feedback.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

I believe it was around 2013 when they stopped sellers being able to leave negs. Prime example right here why it was a good decision. Seller left buyer a neg for not paying, buyer retaliated. That neg did nothing to hurt the buyer, but it would have hurt the seller.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I believe it was around 2013 when they stopped sellers being able to leave negs. Prime example right here why it was a good decision. Seller left buyer a neg for not paying, buyer retaliated. That neg did nothing to hurt the buyer, but it would have hurt the seller.

Really? What about when a scammer doesn't get a quick refund, royally rips you off AND leaves a neg in retaliation, purely because their scam took longer to execute?

Should be a level playing field

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Giving a buyer a negative feedback isn't going to stop them buying. They could have a 1000 negs and it won't stop them. Unless they bid on an auction early, they have bought before you can possibly check their feedback and block them.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply