Seller cancelled order without my permission

Netgear Wifi Range Extender

The seller cancelled my order without my permission and I can't seem to find way to leave feedback. I did NOT request to cancel the purchase. I won the auction for $33, and the options were an additional $15.35 for shipping, or free local pickup. I messaged him for local pickup as I was only a short drive away. He refused saying it was not available - that I would have to pay for shipping. I pointed out he was mistaken and offered the local pickup option in the listing. I was flexible and told him I was prepared to wait until a day it was convenient for him. But I said I would not have bid on the item in the first place with that additional postage cost.

I accepted it was possible he did not intend to offer local pickup. But I pointed out that he would still get $33 in the end whether I paid for postage or not, as postage is only supposed to reimburse the seller for shipping costs, not for a profit. The seller was rude and made a smart alec comment saying words to the effect of "if you still want this item, go to JB HI FI (a lot more expensive there)". For some reason I cannot find the option to leave feedback. I am disappointed we could not come to an agreement and he just canned it all, seemingly with no consequence.

Please help I'm fairly new to ebay, so not sure how to proceed. I really just want to leave a reasonable, factually based feedback comment. Something like, "rude seller, and cancelled my order without permission"
Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Please help I'm fairly new to ebay, so not sure how to proceed

Also surely I could still report something because the seller cancelled order stating reason - buyer requested to cancel. Which is absolutely false, probably to save on FVF.

welcome to eBay.

I remember when I joined eBay.  I too looked at eBaying through rose coloured glasses.

One thing to know about eBay is that you cannot expect sellers, or buyers, to behave the way you would . . . or would expect them to behave.  If you do you will have many more let downs.

You will learn over time to just let it go. eBay will not punish sellers who you feel have done the wrong thing.  They also won’t punish buyers the way you think is warranted.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

Hey there, your seller has reneged on the sale, as simple as that.  No, they don't need your permission to cancel a sale, but likewise they shouldn't be using false reasons as an excuse to back out of it, so please ignore other opinions seeming to defend the sellers actions here.

I checked out some of the seller's other completed listings and they seem to be familar with how to edit postage and pickup options, so doubt their claim that it was unintended for them to offer that option.

Even if it was offered in error, they've certainly handled the situation poorly if what you've recounted is any indication.

Use this link to leave feedback. As you mentioned, feedback needs to be factual -  something like 'Advertised as available for local pickup but seller refused and reneged on sale.' would be appropriate, and also happens to be exactly 80 characters. It's up to you if you wish to type it in capitals...I quite enjoy the emphasis it adds! Smiley LOL

You will encounter eBay sellers like this from time to time.  Not frequently, but it's not all that uncommon. Best to move on and not dwell on it.  You can report them if you want, but eBay won't do anything about it - it's not a serious breach in eBay's eyes, unfortunately.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

As per the original listing,  seller offered postage at  $15.35  and also offered click and collect, which also requires the payment of the postage fee.

click & collect  is not the same as  Free local pickup, which was not offered by the seller.

And as you have found out, the seller does not need your permission to cancel a sale.

Message 2 of 78
Latest reply

I can't believe you're defening him let me show you in black and white

This was the original listing

I know the difference b/n pickup and click and collect

Message 3 of 78
Latest reply

While I don't really want to defend the seller as such this post is definitely going to come across as though I do.... Smiley LOL  I do want to say this first and foremost... Sellers don't need a buyer's permission to cancel orders. It's better for them to get agreement first, but permission doesn't come into it (if it did, eBay would have required you to approve the cancellation, rather than simply provided the seller with the facility to process it).

If it's possible that providing the option of pick up was an unintentional error, then surely it's reasonable not to try and hold them to providing this option. Sticking with the icy pole theme I've been running with tonight - if I offered you an orange icy pole, and you accept, then when I got to my freezer I found I only had raspberry, then a raspberry is all I'm going to be able to provide, and if you don't want it, then no icy pole..... Smiley Embarassed

Same with a pick-up option. If I can't facilitate pick-up, accidentally offering it doesn't mean I can suddenly facilitate it. Therefore cancellation is the only option available, since trying to point out facts about costs of postage and reimbursements of such etc doesn't change a person's circumstances. They might have though your comments re: postage were smart-alec-y or didn't want to be pushed to provide something they already advised they couldn't. 

Message 4 of 78
Latest reply

Yes but I had no reason to believe he made a mistake until after the auction was over - I only bid in the first place because I thought wow he's nearby and offers pick-up, so could save a few quid. So your analogy doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Also surely I could still report something because the seller cancelled order stating reason - buyer requested to cancel. Which is absolutely false, probably to save on FVF.

Message 5 of 78
Latest reply

@yokkiber25 wrote:

I can't believe you're defening him let me show you in black and white

This was the original listing

I know the difference b/n pickup and click and collect

Wow grouchy,  yep found the pickup under the postage tab, after my initial post.  still it was not on the main page, and in all probability, especially given the sellers refusal to offer, would appear to be included in error, possibly a carry over from a previous listing, or another one of ebays errors.

As the sellers locations inserted by ebay are not exact, and the reason for sale stated was that they have moved, how do you know that you are still only a short drive away.

Then of course throw in all the covid restrictions and it may not have been reasonable to pickup at all.

Anyway, your choice not to pay postage and the buyers right to cancel sale

Message 6 of 78
Latest reply

@yokkiber25 wrote:
Yes but I had no reason to believe he made a mistake until after the auction was over - I only bid in the first place because I thought wow he's nearby and offers pick-up, so could save a few quid. So your analogy doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

That's not even remotely the point. 

If the seller had no idea he'd even offered pick up until you said you wanted to complete the transaction that way, then that was the first opportunity they had to tell you it wasn't offered intentionally and they can only complete the transaction by posting the item.

If you only bid because you thought pick up was available, and wouldn't complete the transaction any other way (the only "flexibility" you offered being waiting for when it suited them, which they advised was never), and the seller can't offer pick-up.... what's the solution to this problem?

Cancelling the order. 

Why you bid is 100% irrelevant to the analogy, it only fuels your insistence on wanting pick-up after being told the seller can't provide it, despite saying you accept that it was possible for it to have been an error on the seller's part.

Message 7 of 78
Latest reply

Please help I'm fairly new to ebay, so not sure how to proceed

welcome to eBay.

I remember when I joined eBay.  I too looked at eBaying through rose coloured glasses.

One thing to know about eBay is that you cannot expect sellers, or buyers, to behave the way you would . . . or would expect them to behave.  If you do you will have many more let downs.

You will learn over time to just let it go. eBay will not punish sellers who you feel have done the wrong thing.  They also won’t punish buyers the way you think is warranted.

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

Yep I agree
I'm already just about done with eBay it seems to bring about the worst emotions which is out of character for me.
Also have tried selling a laptop twice - both occasions a non paying buyer, and numerous scam attempts in between. Extremely frustrating.
Message 9 of 78
Latest reply

@yokkiber25 wrote:
Yep I agree
I'm already just about done with eBay it seems to bring about the worst emotions which is out of character for me.
Also have tried selling a laptop twice - both occasions a non paying buyer, and numerous scam attempts in between. Extremely frustrating.

not surprised that a new member would have people try to scam them on a high priced item like the phone you have listed.  Be careful of ‘PayPal’ payment notifications that don’t show on your Payapl account.

Scammers are good at copying the notifications and making them look real.  They usually go with the “funds will held in escrow and released to your PaPal once you upload shipping information” type of scam.  Of course, the funds never eventuate and there is no PayPal seller protection as payment will not have been made.

**please use the “@userID” method of letting us know who you are replying to if posting from a mobile.  If you don’t, it shows as you replying to yourself.

A reply to my posts would start with @k1ooo (abbreviations are okay so long as we can see who you are replying to)

Message 10 of 78
Latest reply