Seller cancelled transaction after payment without notification.

Hi,

I am new to ebay and dont know what to do about this weird transaction. So this item was on sale with Best Offer option. I sent an option to which the seller sent a counteroffer. I accepted and paid immediately via paypal. In an hour i check my email to see my payment has been refunded. confused i sent a message to seller what is happening. She replied in two words 'Sorry cancelled'.

Can sellers cancel transactions without notification to the buyer? Seems odd to me. when I tried to contact the seller she is not replying to my messages anymore. she has 100% positive reviews (12 actually) .

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A seller can cancel a transaction through ebay with "out of stock" being the reason, they will normally get a defect for doing so. I would have thought you should have received an email notifying you of the cancellation and reason.

If they refunded directly through paypal then I would assume no notification would come from ebay. They still get a defect and then also pay the ebay fees.

It does seem strange though as they sent a counteroffer.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

A seller can cancel a transaction through ebay with "out of stock" being the reason, they will normally get a defect for doing so. I would have thought you should have received an email notifying you of the cancellation and reason.

If they refunded directly through paypal then I would assume no notification would come from ebay. They still get a defect and then also pay the ebay fees.

It does seem strange though as they sent a counteroffer.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

'Sorry cancelled' to me isn't a valid reason for not going through with the sale.

While a seller cannot be forced to sell you anything if they choose not to the seller isn't demonstrating a good attitude.

If they had a valid reason a simple explanation would have made a difference but it sounds like your Best Offer wasn't the price they wanted.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

@digupatin wrote:

'Sorry cancelled' to me isn't a valid reason for not going through with the sale.

While a seller cannot be forced to sell you anything if they choose not to the seller isn't demonstrating a good attitude.

If they had a valid reason a simple explanation would have made a difference but it sounds like your Best Offer wasn't the price they wanted.

I agree, however after a recent experience, I could possibly also be accused of demonstrating a bad attitude (something I actually felt very guilty of at the time) and I agree 'Sorry cancelled' to me isn't a valid reason for not going through with the sale

This is probably not the reason in this instance, but another reason this could happen would be if eBay instructed the Seller NOT to deal with the buyer.  This actually happened to me recently with a buyer who had purchased approx. 10 items.  eBay instructed me

• Do not supply
  • Send refund
  • Under no circumstances message or communicate with the buyer
  • Add to BBL List when everything was finalised (including receiving FVF's)

I received several messages from the buyer asking why (which I ignored as instructed by eBay, but the whole situation really upset me)  & they then proceeded to re-order & pay for everything again..  You would not believe the mess I'm in now, fighting to get back all the FVF's !!  Apparently this is the policy for dealing with hijacked accounts - but as sellers we are at the mercy of eBay making an accurate determination  Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

MB unfortunately it was your failure to add the buyer to your BBL that caused further problems, had you done that straight away, something most of us do as soon as there appears to be a problem, it would have been over and done with.

The OP is the buyer and presumably is not using a hi-jacked account so all they can do is accept that they are not going to get what they wanted, be grateful it wasn't worse and they got a defective item and leave appropriate feedback with only one star for each for description, communication and postage time. Along with the defect the seller willl get as long as you don't agree to a cancellation request the seller should be taught a good lesson.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Ebay instructed MB to not add to BBL until after everything was finalised. She was only doing as she was told. I got the full story and without going into details, it's an absolute mess.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

MB unfortunately it was your failure to add the buyer to your BBL that caused further problems, had you done that straight away, something most of us do as soon as there appears to be a problem, it would have been over and done with.

The OP is the buyer and presumably is not using a hi-jacked account so all they can do is accept that they are not going to get what they wanted, be grateful it wasn't worse and they got a defective item and leave appropriate feedback with only one star for each for description, communication and postage time. Along with the defect the seller willl get as long as you don't agree to a cancellation request the seller should be taught a good lesson.

Not meaning to cause conflict, nor to attempt to defend myself, but I did say I didn't think it applied in this case & there was quite a bit more to the story, I just didn't see the need to spell it all out, it was more to give an example of a situation that could occur whereby there may be no contact from the Seller and the payment simply be refunded - it was directed more towards anyone new reading the thread or anyone who has not encountered an MC 139 Notice.

Briefly, in actual fact I had Blocked the buyer & eBay CS Trust & Safety told me I had to Unblock them because earlier the Buyer had asked me to cancel two orders they had duplicated, so I issued the Cancellation Requests, and by the time I received the MC139 Notices the buyer had not responded, so eBay said until the requests closed or ran their course, I could not block the buyer.  They also reprimanded me for Blocking the buyer when they had already told me not to.  Other factors to be considered are the MC139 Notices were sent at about 3am and the refunds were sent as soon as I read them,  I subsequently rang CS and was transferred from one Dept to another for nearly 2 hours,  then the buyer re-ordered and all this happened within a space of about 36 hours.  And the worst of all this is the fact, as I hinted, I'm not even confident eBay have it correct, but I will probably never know Smiley Frustrated

You cannot even begin to imagine how bad I felt treating a buyer in this manner, I was literally sick over it & had a migaine for days, because I would have preferred to take a chance and send the orders Registered Post, but at the same time felt I could not or should not go against T & S's instructions, even though in the end they did not even sound 100% confident with their own decision, but kept insisting I shouldn't post.

Anyway, that's it, very briefly, although it may not seem to be brief, lol.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Ebay instructed MB to not add to BBL until after everything was finalised. She was only doing as she was told. I got the full story and without going into details, it's an absolute mess.

Thanks tippy.  If I wasn't such a slow typer I would have seen your post and not bothered trying to explain Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Sounds like you did the transaction too hurriedly and messed it up, possibility!
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Sounds like you did the transaction too hurriedly and messed it up, possibility!

Please explain Michelle?  How did the OP do the transaction too quickly?

She made an offer, the seller counter offered and she accepted and paid.   What is too quick about that?

Or are your replying to someone other than the OP?

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply