Seller charged 75% more for postage than what it cost to send

Hi, I recently purchased an item and paid $8:25 postage.  When I received it, the postmark sticker said it cost the seller $2:10 to post.  The item was in a recycled plastic bag which was put in an A4 envelope, so packaging costs were minimal.  When I queried the postage discrepancy, the seller said it was because their Post Office was a 20 km round trip.  They said the postage and travel actually cost them more than $8:25, suggesting that they had somehow done me a favour in only charging me that amount.

Does anyone think this is unreasonable?  My one bugbear about postage is when seller's appear to be creaming profit from it.

Message 1 of 108
Latest reply
107 REPLIES 107

When I purchase I look at the item plus postage as one total and if I think I got a bargain for the combined price, fine.

If the seller then has managed to post it for less and considering they have pack n handling costs, I am happy to let them have an extra couple of dollars especially as ebay have fees on postage as well.

That's just my take on it. 

(I picked up a bargain today, saved at least $200)

image host
Message 2 of 108
Latest reply

What were you expecting for $8.25?

I used to charge the exact cost of postage but still had buyers leaving low scores for it so now I post with free postage.

And I agree with the seller as it would have cost them more than $8.25.

Buyers shouldn't buy if they're going to whinge after the fact.

Message 3 of 108
Latest reply

How does it really make a difference if you paid say $1 for an item and $8.25 postage, or paid $8.25 for the item and $1 postage?

It's still the same total payment.

How is the seller creaming profit from it?

The same fees are paid by the seller on the postage as well as the purchase item price you know.

You have to look at the whole picture.

Message 4 of 108
Latest reply

Is $8.25 a standard post they quote for their items? It is probably to cover a 500gm satchel.

Often sellers guess an item would need a 500gm satchel, then when they pack it the item compresses enough to go in a large letter. As postage has been paid they just send it. The excuse given is probably an afterthought rather than real reason

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 5 of 108
Latest reply

How is it unreasonable? You paid $x to have an item delivetred to you and that is exactly what you got. How much the seller chooses to add in handling charges does not come into it.  The cost of getting to the PO should not be included in the delivery cost but if it isn't then it should be added to the item cost making the total price exactly the same so what is your beef?

If the seller were a business using an AP account you would have had no idea how much the actual postage cost woulkd have been, presumebly then you wouldn't have had a problem so you are penalising a seller for having to pay more than a big volume seller for postage.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 108
Latest reply

my bugbear is buyers whinging about the cost of postage after they see the price of the label.

The cost includes postage and handling.
Message 7 of 108
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
my bugbear is buyers whinging about the cost of postage after they see the price of the label.

The cost includes postage and handling.

And also the cost of the packaging (eg. if sent in a padded envelope or the like).

I do see sometimes why buyers might complain if they don't know what postage prices are - for example (and I have had one or two complaints) the printed postage label only shows the cost of postage and does not include the cost of the Registered label if one is used, although you would think common sense would tell the buyer that - but as they say, common sense ain't so common.

Most importantly as mentioned already, why complain AFTER the purchase - I agree with previous comments on the issue - if you're not happy with the total price - then don't buy it and complain later also not all sellers pricing structures are the same   Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 108
Latest reply

I reckon even with $ 8.25 postage they still got a bargain.
Message 9 of 108
Latest reply

@harley_babes_hoard wrote:
I reckon even with $ 8.25 postage they still got a bargain.

I'm not so sure if it wasn't sent Registered, (but I have no idea what they bought and am taking into account that you are not supposed to add any allowance for fuel - which is ridiculous as the article doesn't find it's own way to the PO) but regardless, what pees me off is buyers who are happy enough at the time they make the purchase & then complain later - sorry OP, but as a seller and a buyer, that's how I feel - if you're not happy with the postage being charged by a seller, question it with the seller before you buy & if you're not satisfied with the explanation, then don't buy - simple as that  Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 108
Latest reply