Seller disappeared on eBay after paying his bank directly

A seller was auctioning a camera, also advised he will be accepting a offer directly but payment to his bank details. We had a mutual agreement and he canceled auction. Sent him money to his bank details. Next day he started auction on same camera and same serial number again. When I ask why is he auctioning camera which was sold already, he became unreachable. Is there anyway to recover my money and not allow seller to advertise payment methods not authorized by eBay? 

I have asked my bank to dispute my payment, I have to wait at least 90 days to get an answer.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Seller disappeared on eBay after paying his bank directly

Yes,  but if at least it is done via an official Ebay sale there is some comeback,  ie.  feedback, etc.  Outside of Ebay there is nothing,  zero, zilch.

In this case the OP knowingly admits to breaking fundamental Ebay rules.  It is because of bad buyers like this that Ebay get a bad name.  Don't try to justify the OP breaking the rules.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@raymccool wrote:

Is there anyway to recover my money and not allow seller to advertise payment methods not authorized by eBay? 

I am not sure why you accepted the payment method this seller advertised if you were aware of the fact that it was not authorized by eBay, so you would not be protected?

Well, all you can do now is wait the 90 days your bank asked you to wait for an answer... Take a screenshot of the new listing with the same camera and the same serial number.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

@raymccool wrote:

Is there anyway to recover my money and not allow seller to advertise payment methods not authorized by eBay? 

I am not sure why you accepted the payment method this seller advertised if you were aware of the fact that it was not authorized by eBay, so you would not be protected?

Well, all you can do now is wait the 90 days your bank asked you to wait for an answer... Take a screenshot of the new listing with the same camera and the same serial number.

I can guess why,  the seller most likely offered a discount by saying we will avoid Ebay fee's.  Just a guess,  but why else would you deal outside of Ebay.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Managed Payments negates the risk. The buyer pays eBay, not the seller. Unless the buyer deals outside of eBay.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply