Seller is messing me around on a refund

I purchased a Bluetooth headset in January this year. It arrived on time and as described. A few weeks after I started using it, it stopped working. I contacted the seller, requesting a refund. Seller asked me to upload a video showing the headset not working! I explained that there was no point in making a video, as the video would prove nothing.

I offered to send a video of myself destroying the item. Seller said that would not be necessary.

Seller then offered me a discount on my next purchase, which I declined. After several more messages on the subject, seller finally agreed to make the refund into my PayPal account. Since then, I've had several more messages, with the seller giving me various reasons why the refund has not materialised.

I've had two online chats with eBay agents, with no result.

Can somebody please advise me what further steps I can take? 

TIA.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@david8searle,

Item specifics state:    Brand: Unbranded

There is no way in a bucket of eels that I'd be buying such an item that's marked as unbranded. That is telling you that the item's been churned out in a Chinese (or other low-wage country) factory at the cheapest possible price, without components of the necessary quality/standard.

It's a cheap headset even if you paid, say, $10 more for it.

However, if it stopped working "a few weeks" after being received, that's an indication that the components are not up to standard.

(By the way, no one is suggesting INR (Item Not Received); we are saying it's NOT AS DESCRIBED. You must formally make a claim for a refund on the grounds of INAD/SNAD, not just rely on the seller saying they will refund in this sort of situation.)

I'm a little on the fence with this... If you were to buy a genuine headset - wireless/Bluetooth, connects to TV - with a warranty, you'd certainly be looking at more than $100, and in most cases more than $200. You cannot expect the same durability and quality with a $25-$35 pair of Chinese-made headphones.

On the other hand, what you received is clearly rubbish. The seller has also, as you say, messed you around. If you haven't actually opened a formal claim through eBay, under its MBG, then the seller is just telling you whatever will keep you from opening a formal claim through PayPal (presumably, as it's too late to make a formal claim through eBay). The seller is lying. There is no refund on the way. It's a well-known tactic.

If you'd looked through the seller's feedback, specifically by clicking onto the negative feedback ratings over the last 12 months (from the seller's feedback profile page), you would have seen meaningless soothing comments by the seller in reply to upset buyer comments. Repeatedly the seller says things like "customer's satisfaction is our NO.1 goal, communication is important" or "sorry,we keep trying to solve problem for you, but you didn't respond" - all of which are clearly the seller's attempts to mitigate the bad feedback by appearing to be a reasonable and responsive seller.

NOW is the time to open a PayPal claim.

As I said, I'm in two minds about this... but if we assume that the headphones stopped working about 3 weeks after they arrived, that's clearly not good enough and would in my view constitute INAD. (Item Not As Described, which is the same thing as SNAD - Item Significantly Not As Described.) In that case they were NOT as described upon arrival; you merely assumed they were by looking at them. I'll bet that the sound quality wasn't as promised, either.

So... open the claim/dispute. Either before or after you open the claim, you should contact PayPal and ask for their help, explaining the following:

• The headphones stopped working within x weeks (2? 3?)
  • They are not as described (don't have the promised sound quality/capacity/whatever it may be - but you must be honest and only say what is true)
  • You contacted the seller and the seller promised to refund you in full without your needing to return the headphones on xx/xx/2022
  • You have not received a refund, but the seller kept reassuring you
  • It's now too late for you to open an ebay claim, and you now realise that the seller has been stringing you along
  • You would be willing to return these non-working headphones to the seller, but you are concerned that the seller would not refund the postage cost, given the fact that the seller has been lying to you
  • In any case, the cost of the headphones $xx.xx is not commensurate with the cost of tracked return postage to the seller
  • You request that PayPal action your refund without your needing to return the headphones

To contact PayPal, go to https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp/contact-us (and if  you're not logged in, you'll have to do so), then scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see something similar to this:

countessalmirena_0-1650872986978.png

To call them, click onto the "Call us" link between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm AEST (Mon-Fri), and you'll get a one-off code and the phone number to call.

Good luck - and... if I were you, I would probably head down to a few audio shops - JB Hi-Fi, just as example - to get some advice about what headset would best suit your needs. You may need to brace yourself for about $160-odd or more, but it's possible that you could get a recommendation for one that's not going to hit your wallet with quite such a thwack. I would never purchase this sort of item from a Chinese eBay seller... NEVER.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I imagine you are past the time limit for an eBay dispute, if so open a Paypal dispute BUT first sign up for their "limited postage return offer".

Cease all communication with the seller directly, and only communicate through the dispute process.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

I just wanted to suggest a PayPal dispute too when I opened this thread. It is your best chance.

I am just not 100% sure you can get a free return if the purchase was before you signed up for free returns. Just look at their T&Cs.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

I am just not 100% sure you can get a free return if the purchase was before you signed up for free returns. Just look at their T&Cs.

So long as the OP signs up for it BEFORE opening a Paypal dispute they'll be covered.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

As padi says, youโ€™re going to have to open a claim through PayPal, but I would caution you to rethink before you do anything.

Neither eBayโ€™s Money Back Guarantee nor PayPalโ€™s Buyer Protection are product warranties. If your headset is โ€œas describedโ€, your only protection is if you purchased from an Australian authorised seller of the item. (Overseas sellers and unauthorised seller either domestic or international do not come under Australian Consumer Legislation in terms of enforcing a warranty.)

If you use either the MBG or PayPal BP as if it were a product warranty, you may be flagged and end up with an account not in good standing.

Now, Iโ€™m not convinced that you actually DID receive an item that was as described. Can you post the item number here? You canโ€™t post the sellerโ€™s name, but item number is fine.

If, as I suspect, you purchased from a Chinese eBay seller who listed the item with deceptive product information, then in spite of your initial reaction that the headset was as described, it would actually not have been as described. (Typical unbranded fakes look legitimate from the outside but are not made from fit-for-purpose components so the product will fail within short period of time; they will look cheap and nasty โ€œunder the hoodโ€; they often donโ€™t have the specs that are claimed.) 

Thatโ€™s why I encourage you to post the item number here. It is quite possible that the responders here will be able to gauge from the listing whether or not youโ€™re dealing with an item that is SNAD/INAD.

If you are, then you will not be starting from a perspective of the item being as described.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

I am afraid it starts with the next purchase, Padi.

The OP should probably tells us more anyway. The Countess is right. 

Screenshot 2022-04-25 122335.png

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Oh dear, Paypal's moved the goalposts, I'm sure that didn't used to be the case.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Why didn't you open a dispute?

You have 30 days after receipt to lodge a case.

No need to "negotiate" with a seller - all they do is delay until the 30 day window has passed and the chance of an Ebay dispute is minimised.

Always check where a seller is REGISTERED, not where the item is located, as there is a higher chance of getting a knock off if the seller is registered overseas.

Your only option now is to open a Paypal case for Item Not as Described. If the seller wants it back, they must forward shipping costs upfront. Since this is highly unlikely, they will be forced to refund. You need to point out that it is counterfeit and therefore does not need to be returned anyway.

Chatting with Ebay won't do anything - you  need to follow the buyers guidelines for disputes - CS reps won't refund you just because you have a complaint. Opening a dispute makes it "formal".

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

The jellybirddesigns is almost right.

"Your only option now is to open a Paypal case for Item Not as Described. If the seller wants it back, they must forward shipping costs upfront. Since this is highly unlikely, they will be forced to refund. You need to point out that it is counterfeit and therefore does not need to be returned anyway."----Please be noted: PayPal doesn't say sellers have to pay for shipping first. It's very likely that they will knowingly give you an overseas return address and at the same time offer a refund for the return. PayPal will not refund you if you do not return it in time.

To sum up, next time, you should not only check the item location carefully, but also check the registered location of the seller.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Thank you all for your responses. Just a couple of points:

The item number is 224022624654. I paid more for it than the current advertised price.

The seller has categorically stated that a refund will be paid. 

"We have arranged refund for you, it will be returned to your card or PayPal balance (may take a few days).

You do not need send video."

Then, a week later:

"Sorry for keeping you waiting.

we did applied a refund for you, but the system fail to pass.

we have just arrange a refund again.

please check it after 48 hours later.

if you receive it, please tell us."

Then there was a remark about having the accounts department look into the matter, with a request that I do not give bad feedback!

So this is not about an item that has not been received; it's about a seller who is not keeping a commitment.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply