Seller listing items not in stock as "available"

bulldusthhh
Community Member

Why is this permitted on Ebay? I am a first timer, and came because this was the first place to list a new device. Turns out (after the seller got my money of course) that the item is not actually "available", at least if one uses all the dictionary-accepted definitions. They "expect" it may be available by Friday.

OK, so it is a new piece of IT gear, but why does Ebay permit misleading behaviour like this? This is a TSR with 99%+ positive rating with a 4,700+ feedback score (numbers rounded to protect the guilty party). They only responded after I mailed them twice and admitted it was on "pe-order." If one of the other sellers actually has it, I have reason to be quite miffed.

This behaviour ensures this is my first and last transaction on Ebay (assuming it ever happens). Does Ebay care?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

This behaviour ensures this is my first and last transaction on Ebay (assuming it ever happens). Does Ebay care?

I was going to offer an opinion and some advice regarding your situation . . . BUT . . . as you have already decidied that eBay is not the place for you I will refrain.

There are millions of good sellers here in Australia.  Do not judge us all by your experience with one!

bulldusthhh
Community Member

It is an Taiwan-based seller (I am in Oz), and I just found the policy against this practice:

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/pre-sale.html

No doubt I can hang this over their head should they get funky about the delivery date. Given that it is a new product that was to be released this week (in Taiwan) chances are they will get it and be under the 20 day limit. Having said that, they are in violation of the policy that states:

"The seller must clearly indicate within the listing that it's a pre-sale item..."

They listed it as available and admitted in the Ebay mail that they didn't have it. Always good to have a big stick, no?

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

If it is the phone why on earth would you buy something like that from an overseas seller, especially one with carp feedback like theirs?

Do you realise that if it does not work or is counterfeit, which is a strong possibility, you will have an almighty headache trying to get a refund through Paypal as you will not be able to return it as you are not allowed to post mobile phones, or anything else containing a lithium battery, overseas using Aus Post.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I think you'll find several largers sellers do that same thing, but eBay will not do anything because they cannot actually prove they don't stock their items.

Best thing to do is go to another seller next time, read the sellers feedback first (slow postage could mean they don't have it)

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

calsof
Community Member

The place to complain about something that is happening in Taiwan, is Taiwan.

I know that Ebay is supposed to facilitate buying from anywhere around the world but, if you don't know the risks in each case, don't try it. 

You are talking about a phone that may not even work in Australia. Regardless of how much you might be saving, it may have been worth not trying it with that kind of item.

Good luck when you get it. Let us know if all goes well, I'll be interested to see. 

Sorry,back on topic-I have no comment
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

bulldusthhh
Community Member

Re "carp" feedback - I am new to Ebay and therefore assumed that 99%+ positive feedback at 4.7k+ score and a Top Seller Rating (typo in OP) might have been a good score. Silly me, I did read through a few pages of feedback and googled the seller before making the purchase.

Re Buying overseas - I have bought 2 phones and 2 tablets to date, only one tablet from Oz. The phones were through Oz web sites but dropped from Asia, and the other tablet was from a prominent NY-based bricks & mortar with web site retailer. All of them have been fine despite their overseas origins. I am not inclined to pay 20% over market for the priviledge of being ripped off by an Aussie retailer and a prominent web seller in Oz rhyming with bogan hasn't got it. Price discrimination is huge because we are supposedly the lucky country (try looking up prices of overseas flights in reverse* for example ... you'll be shocked).

Re will the phone work - ummm, yes, I checked the frequencies long before I got excited about the Padfone 2. Will it drop in price in the next couple months? Sure, but I am also currently without a phone or tablet, and this is the first item that has really excited me on this front. Suits my needs to a T. I'll probably even accessorise with a keyboard when they get them on the market (they aren't ready with that yet and the pin connector is different to the previous models ... learnt bad habits from a fruit company perhaps). Version one of this device was a bit hinky, for lack of a better word, but this one hits the mark IMO.

BTW the seller is getting more responsive now, they wrote last night to say they will ship it today. The cynic in me says they saw this forum post and blinked. Coincidence more like, but it is fun to imagine the former.

As for posting in Taiwan, I overlooked the fact that this was an Aussie forum. First clue should have been that all the posts were in English. My bad.

PS> If you haven't seen the device, as Molly says, do yourself a favour. Apart from the tablet screen res, it kicks the proverbial on all fronts.

* reverse being same flights on same days but reversing the destinations. To Europe and back from Europe is about A$1,000-1,200 cheaper than from Oz. Still feeling lucky?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I think you will find sellers overseas can get the item cheaper, especially in computer software. Aussie sellers are dearer because they can't match the price or get it at the same low price - cant expect australian seller to sell at the wholesale price to match cheaper imports and lose on the sale

I would rather buy from an Australian Seller - less hassle for a refund, more guarantee the item will work.

Some cheap imported stuff some sellers sell is also cheap junk and you'll go through just as much $$$ when you could pay out for just one item

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Seems it is common practice among some sellers here in Australia to list items as say location Sydney but actually ship from Hong Kong.

Currently going through this at present with one of the bigger sellers on EBay ( which doesn't say much for the others ).

Have already lodged a report with EBay which to date has had no effect on the Seller and to rub salt in the wound , the seller has relisted the same items again showing Sydney as location.

When asking if I bought another ( still waiting on the first ) , that I would get it in the 2 - 7 days listed , his/her comment was that all items ship from Hong Kong so would be 10-15 days wait.

When reminding them that was still misleading listing , the reply was it was accidental and would be corrected - 4 days later and listing is as is.

I have a few sellers on EBay I trust but with EBay continuing to allow frauds ( seems to me it is OK as long as they pay their seller fees on time ) you have to be careful of whoever you buy from here. Not sure if Consumer Affairs can get involved with this or not but after this , will think twice before using EBay ever again.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

This is a common occurrence and as such ebay really needs to implement the ability to report such ads. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply